X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about dolphin/panels

Hello,
    I noticed some strange things about Kubuntu and I am wondering if it is a bug or an error on my part.

The first thing is that with the old kde I would usually place a panel at the top of the screen to place internet, amorok, etc icons, but with this version it keeps erasing my panel when I reboot.Is there a way to save these settings?

The second question is regarding the clear screen that was on the desktop when I installed. I closed it and now I can't figure out how to reopen it. Now I can't place files on the desktop and must go through the files manually. How can I place the clear window back on the desktop?

Thanks for any info and sorry if the questions are rudimentary...

Re: Questions about dolphin/panels

Welcome to KDE 4! Yes, there are some major differences, vs. KDE 3.5.

First (since I know this one), to put a "desktop" on your screen, right-click anywhere and choose "Add Widgets" and then choose the "Folder View" widget. I forget exactly how I set it to show the "Desktop" folder, but the idea is that the "Folder View" widget will show any folder you wish, so you obviously wish to see the one named "Desktop" which is in your /user/ folder.

On the panels, that's an area where KDE 4 is very, very different. In the upper right corner of your screen is a "cashew". If you right-click it, and choose "Add Panel", that's the starting point to add your top panel. To park icons on it, you'll have to do a little bit of experimenting -- I put my apps on the default bottom panel, so don't know whether it's a problem to point them to a different panel or not. If you open the KMenu, and then navigate to your application, and right-click on the name of it, you will have the option "Add to Panel", so that's the basic maneuver to get it onto a panel.

Comment

Thanks, on the second one I already made the panel and then chose to lock the widgets but kde keeps making it dissappear whenever I reboot...

For the first question I was talking specifically about the clear window that was first on the desktop. I thought it was kind of cool, it seemed like a floating clear window that could hold files. I haven't seen anything else about it though...

Comment

Are you talking about the Plasma Dashboard? That's an funky little half-icon on your panel, just to the left of the "pager", on mine.

Comment

Actually now I understand the folder view thanks. I assume the dissappearing panel is a bug...thanks a lot...

Comment

You might try playing around in the System Settings, Advanced Panel, under Session Manager. It could be that it is restoring a previously saved Session each type you reboot. Another possible culprit is if your reboot process hangs or crashes at some point then your settings may not be saved.

You could even try doing Alt-F2 and then type "kquitapp plasma && plasma" which will end your plasma session (and presumable save it) and then restart plasma right away.

Comment

Working...
            X