Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu froze at 0% while partitioning (dual-boot w/ XP)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu froze at 0% while partitioning (dual-boot w/ XP)

Hey all. Last night I tried out a Live CD of Kubuntu, and was basically hooked. I was an accidental convert to Linux -several months ago my XP build crashed and I had to get at my unbacked up files, then ended up liking it- so I vaguely know what I'm doing. I have a laptop running Ubuntu 8.10 with some major issues even though 8.04 ran fine, but that's for another thread.

So, last night, I get curious about Kubuntu -I'd actually just burned a random CD to carry around and maybe give to someone, then got curious- and I torrent the .iso and make myself a Live CD. I pop it in the drive, and everything's fine. Once or twice I go to install, but then I a) get cold feet and b) notice that the installation has frozen at selecting the time zone. Now, it was probably really stupid of me to keep trying with no outside help and from the same CD, but what's done is done. After consulting with a few Linux people I know personally, I get back to business. Everything goes fine until the automatic partitioner tries to split my drive between XP and Kubuntu- it gets up to resizing my partition, and then completely freezes. I left it overnight, and it stayed at 0%, completely unusable. Can't even move the mouse. Hitting the power button didn't work, so the only way I could reboot was by flicking the switch on my PSU. Right now I'm writing on an apparently undamaged XP-only machine.

Assuming this is possible, I'm going to try using GParted to partition beforehand, and then sticking Kubuntu on the right partitions. Step-by-step instructions would be handy if anyone has time or knows of a good link. I've gone to my friend Google but I haven't found much that makes sense to a complete n00blet like me.

More importantly, what could have made Kubuntu freeze? I checked the Live CD for errors two or three times and it ran fine off the CD. Could the problem have been the .iso I torrented? Should I get it off the Kubuntu site?

Thanks for reading this rather rambling post.

Re: Kubuntu froze at 0% while partitioning (dual-boot w/ XP)

GParted is the way to go, you are correct about that.

Steps -- EXCEPT you will be using Gparted for the partitioning and you will select Manual Partitioning (NOT "Guided"):
    Vista *** The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
    http://apcmag.com/dualboot

Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's pretty useful, thanks. I somehow end up reading a lot of the same guides over and over but they're starting to make more sense.

Comment

I have run into problems with resizing the windows partition, if the files are fragmented. Try defragging The drive form windows, and then see what happens.

Comment

Good catch, Detonate. I see some folks running the defragger on the Windows partition a couple times, in fact, prior to resizing. (I didn't 'cause I forgot, and got lucky.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Also you get a better defrag if you run it from safe mode. Defrag can't defrag diles that are in use, and being in safe mode minimizes that.

Comment

Working...
            X