Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't use "cache" in konqueror (anyone else have this bug?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't use "cache" in konqueror (anyone else have this bug?)

Since release 7.10 of kubuntu I have not been able to use "cache" in the konqueror browser. It causes an almost instant freeze-up of the system. The problem was present also in Kubuntu 8.04 and I am still troubled by this even after the move to KDE4 in Kubuntu 8.10.

I would like to draw some attention to it, so I am posting this wailing here...if there are other users experiencing the same, you can help solve the problem by posting your experience reports. (Here or directly in launchpad, link below.)

It is a problably architecture-dependent bug that is triggered by using cache in konqueror. (Right now I use konqueror, but without cache, it kind of works because my new appartment has a superfast internet connection).

My computer has an AMD 64X2 processor, and ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.
    I have another computer (Intel based laptop) where the problem does not exist. This is the reason why I say it is probably architecture dependent. (Also I read somewhere about someone with a similar hardware setup experiencing similar problems).

The following bug report in launchpad welcomes your input: buglink to bug #131767

Re: Can't use "cache" in konqueror (anyone else have this bug?)

Yes..I keep complaining about this once every major Kubuntu release...here's the whine from 8.04 forum:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1003#msg131003

I hope we can get something done on this soon....

Comment

Interesting to say the least. I have Use cache enabled and Keep cache in sync as the option. Never had any problems.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's the same options I use on my laptop, and it works just fine there. On my desktop on the other hand, it is a guaranteed freeze-up.

Maybe something could be recompiled on my own equipment and then it would work, but right now I think it is still in the blue which package is really causing the trouble. We need an expert, we need an expert in computers!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Interesting to say the least. I have Use cache enabled and Keep cache in sync as the option. Never had any problems.
          Same here no problems, and I think this is the default also.
          Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Re: Can't use &quot;cache&quot; in konqueror (anyone else have this bug?)

I already know this bug doesn't affect every system out there, and with respect, if you don't have the problem, it is ok if you don't post here. However, if you do have this problem, I'd like to hear what kind of system you have, etc - any info that can help corner the bug.

Comment

Working...
            X