This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Player

In the previous releases of Kubuntu, there was Kaffeine. It isn't a perfect video player but has reasonable functionalities. Now appears the Dragon player witch is realy light (but maybe to much light). So I am looking for a player, that relay on xine (to prevent installing and updating new libraries), with reasonable functions (like subtitles that I can't use in Dragon even when it have controls for subtitles), and not too heavy.
    I have an amazing example of that kind of player (sadly it only works in windows) and is KMplayer (not the linux version kde media player) that stands for korean media player. Is there anything like that?

Re: Video Player

Install VLC. Many find it 'better' than the Dragon Player or Kaffeine.
    multimedia player and streamer

VLC is the VideoLAN project's media player. It plays MPEG, MPEG2, MPEG4,
    DivX, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, mp3, Ogg/Vorbis files, DVDs, VCDs, and multimedia
    streams from various network sources.

VLC can also be used as a streaming server that duplicates the stream it
    reads and multicasts them through the network to other clients, or serves
    them through HTTP.

VLC has support for on-the-fly transcoding of audio and video formats, either
    for broadcasting purposes or for movie format transformations. Support for
    most output methods is provided by this package, but features can be added
    by installing additional audio plugins (vlc-plugin-esd, vlc-plugin-sdl,
    vlc-plugin-arts) or video plugins (vlc-plugin-sdl, vlc-plugin-ggi,
    vlc-plugin-svgalib). There is also a web browser plugin in the
    mozilla-plugin-vlc package.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have tried VLC and it is a really nice piece of software, but it work standalone. That's why I have a Windows (portable) version.
      The problem with VLC is that it doesn't use xine ("libs" I mean) so the media support is not the same as my "KIO slave aware player". So I have to worry about support for different media types for xine AND for VLC. For everything else is just cool.

Comment

I think you can still run kaffeine in 8.10. It runs KDE3.5.10 in the background (like amarok, konversation, digikam and some other of our favorite applications that haven't been upgraded to KDE4 yet.)

Comment

Working...
        X