This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: grey non-clickable bar at the top of the screen after upgrade

If you look above, you will notice I mentioned that when I launch expose the grey bar disappears and the area is viewable. The monitor is fine.

Comment

Hmmmmmm i cant think of anything else i had the same problem and i refreshed my monitor from my monitor and it fixed it.

Comment

Tried disabling fglrx, nothing. Tried explicitly setting screen modes in xorg.conf, nothing. Strange thing is nepomukservices is taking up nearly 100% cpu on one of the cores. Very odd behavior, good thing my /home is on a separate partition, might just have to reinstall.

Comment

i would just try that

Comment

Installed e16, tried running the e16-KDE session, everything looked fine. Looks like the problem is with KWin; after an apt-get purge and login to KDE, window decorations were gone as expected, but so was the bar at the top of the screen. Reinstalling KWin reintroduces the issue. Going to dig around some more.

Comment

I had kickoff for kicker installed for 8.04 and it
              was not removed for the 8.10 upgrade. After
              the upgrade I had a blank panel at the top
              that I could not remove. I looked at system
              monitor to see what was running and found
              kicker was running and killed it and the bar at
              the top disappeared. I then used synaptic to
              remove the offending programs.

bob

Comment

Thanks, I'll take a look at what's being run at startup when I get home.

Comment

Have you tried deleting the .kde folder (bearing in mind this'll reset all your desktop settings)?

Comment

I wanted to steer clear of that, so I was looking through he folder to see if there any config files in there that may be attributed to the issue. I've alreade backed it up so that I could wipe and slowly re-introduce parts of it to see what the issue is. I suppose if bigmac60's advice doesn't work out, I'll try that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Didn't have kickoff installed. I caved and deleted .kde from my home directory. The bar is gone, but now I'm working on getting everything back to the way I like it. Small price to pay to be able to maximize applications, have the panel on top, and oh yeah not having an ugly gray bar at the top of my screen. Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X