This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] plasmoid font is ugly

I'm having an issue with the fonts of a plasmoid I recently installed from kde-look:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=92149

I don't think it's the plasmoids problem however. I was running the basic weather one that comes with KDE 4.1 for awhile and that one had the same ugly jagged fonts.

The attached screenshot shows the difference between the the screenshot at the kde-look web page above (probably the author's screenshot?) which is on the left and mine on the right.

I think it's a system setting somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: plasmoid font is ugly

Something to try, maybe you have already tried:

- rescale the plasmoid
    - change the plasma theme

Here: > Weather plasmoids
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Maybe K Menu > System Settings > Appearance > Fonts > Use anti-aliasing (default is set to System Settings - try changing to Enabled)
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for the tips thus far! I have tried rescaling and it just makes them smaller or larger and still ugly. Tried changing the plasma theme but the fonts remain ugly (background changes and it gets a frame, etc. But same ugly fonts).

I've also tried messing with font anti-aliasing. Mine was set to 'Disabled' and I tried both System Settings as well as Enabled but neither has any affect. Same ugly fonts!

I'm stumped! Any other ideas

Comment

What fonts are you using 'system wide'?

K Menu > System Settings > Appearance > Fonts

I'm using the default DejaVu Sans. You might also want to look at the configuration file for the plasmoid you are using and see if it refers to a font that you don't have installed.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by footer
            ...I've also tried messing with font anti-aliasing. Mine was set to 'Disabled' and I tried both System Settings as well as Enabled but neither has any affect. Same ugly fonts!

I'm stumped! Any other ideas
            You then logged out/in? (or a full reboot or restart of x just to make sure...).

Comment

@Snowhog: I'm using Verdana as my system wide font. I tried going back to the default of DejaVu Sans but no changes in the plasmoid fonts.

I did look at the config file in the plasmoid and it's calling for FreeSans which is installed on my system.

@kjjjjshab: Yup, I logged out/in, restarted X, etc. but no affect.

Darnit! Very puzzling. I recall having font issues a couple of Kubuntu iterations ago (maybe 7.10?), but they seemed to straighten themselves out. Perhaps it's a video driver thing? I'm using the restricted driver that comes with Kubuntu 8.10 for my Nvidia card and I'm sure it's configured properly.

Still stumped but thanks again for the suggestions! Any other ideas?

Comment

By golly I found the solution!!! I guess I didn't play with anti-aliasing enough. Fonts are now silky smooth (see attached). What I did was enable anti-aliasing and under the 'configure' button, I checked the box for 'Use sub-pixel rendering' (RGB) and Hinting Style Medium. I have the 'Exclude Range' button unchecked.

That seemed to solve my ugly plasmoid font problem! Haven't had a chance to see how that affects the rest of the apps and system-wide fonts but perhaps I'll just live with it or tweak a bit more as needed to get everything the way I like.

Darn fonts anyway! Frustrating game ...

Thanks!
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X