This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok using mysql

I want to use amarok and mysql to listen to my music on my laptop. The sql database is remote as are the media files (the mp3s and sql server are on the same computer). Is it possible for amarok to utilize these remote files or is the sql database only used for indexing local files (i.e. on the laptop)? The database has been created and amarok connects to it succesfully, I can see the tables it created in phpmyadmin, but I do not know how to populate it with any folders or files if the remote file access is possible. I really do not want to put any music locally on the laptop and I would like to be able to access it when I am not on my local lan. I can configure that myself, just letting you know what I'm working toward. So, that being said mt-daapd (Firefly) is out of the question and I really don't want to create shares. The other computer is a windows computer, in the very near future I plan to use ubuntu server to create a NAS/HTPC, and I will move all my music to it. I'm rambling and have lost my train of thought so... any responses, suggestions or a no you can't do that would be helpful. Thank you.

Re: Amarok using mysql

If I'm understanding your requirements right then I'm afraid the answer is "I'm afraid you can't do that", at least not in the way you're wanting to...

The amarok database just stores meta-data about your music collection (where it is, what artist/album/length and so on). amarok will still need access to the files themselves to be able to play them; and the way to go about that is through file shares (with your setup this means Samba from the Windows machine; though be advised, amarok has issues with Samba shares.)

You say you want to move towards a Linux file/media server... good call Here's my setup:

- All media stored on one machine (Avenger), that also acts as a MythTV/NFS/HTTP/SSH server.
    - All other machines on the house network mount avenger:/resources as /resources over NFS; amarok on each machine configured to scan /resources/Music. (MythTV frontends also configured to use the appropriate directories for videos/music.)
    - From work: avenger is accessible from outside the network over SSH, so I use sshfs to mount /resources/Music to wherever I need it to be. My upload bandwidth is shocking but it works well enough Before this I used MythWeb to get to my music; it also worked, though not as well.

Hope some of that is useful!

Comment

Working...
    X