This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops - display manager problems.

OK folks, so I need some help here. Got in interesting one...

I have just rebooted back into 8.10 (not the first time) and logged back in to get a funny response. The splashscreen looks fine when running through it - all the super-swish icons come up nice and gracefully, ending in a large K icon...

Then the background goes haywire. It looks like a complete graphics card/X server problem - with lots of horizontal lines, no solid objects, a full mix of funny colours on the horizontal lines etc. I can hear the desktop starting in the background, I can hear Skype starting up and logging on, I can see the positions of the desktop folder (it's a huge fuzzy block, totally unreadable).

But here's the interesting bit... The mouse cursor/pointer is perfectly drawn. Looks normal. I can move it about and it stays just fine. I can also click on where the Kicker icon is and can see a fuzzy box open up (which would be the program launcher), but I can't see anything on it - it's just another fuzzy blob. So the mouse pointer is fine but everything in the background is screwed up...

I have switched to the command line and can see last messages from the boot-up. This shows problems starting K Display Manager.

The line is shown as:

Starting K Display Manager: kdm

there is no [OK] at the end of the line... then it goes on to do a last few things before finishing... then it posts up:

Not starting K Display Manager (kdm-kde4); it is not the default display manager.

I played around by killing X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and then typing:

startkde

This returned:

DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.

So now I'm confused.

I have set kwin to handle desktop effects - and it had been crashing on boot for the last few times (errors shown and K Crash manager etc) but the effects had worked anyway... so I'd left it to see what happened later... D'oh!

Do I need to edit xorg.conf by hand? I can do that - have done it before, but I'll need some guidance...

Can anyone tell me what's gone wrong, or how I might be able to fix it?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.

Bag.

Re: Oops - display manager problems.

Go through dibl's nice write up on envy here

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

and report back.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Toad,

Thanks for the pointer. I've tried to follow that, and got a long way along the list of things to do, but came a cropper on trying to restart X.

When I ran: startx

I got the response:

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA driver kernel module has version 177.80, but this NVIDIA driver component has version 173.14.12. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.

Then it tells me that it failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module, that they should be the same etc.

Then is says:

Fatal server error:
      no screens found
      giving up.
      xinit: Connection refused. (errorno 111): unable to connect to X server.
      xinit: No such process (errorno 3): Server error.

So, I know what I need to do. I need to downgrade the kernel module. But the next question is... how do I do that?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bag.

Comment

Originally posted by bag

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA driver kernel module has version 177.80, but this NVIDIA driver component has version 173.14.12. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.
        Hmmmmmmmmmm. The Nvidia driver installer normally replaces prior versions, but apparently not on your system. If you don't mind getting out of X by shutting it down using Alt-Ctrl-F1 and then
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
        Then I THINK you can remove all Nvidia driver files with

Code:
        sudo rm -rf nvidia*
        Install build-essential and linux-headers:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` && build-essential
        Then try again with the procedure here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

it should work. If it doesn't, at least you'll get a different error.

Comment

Righto, somehow sorted, but now we've got new problems...

I followed the post. KDM didn't need stopping since it was already stopped. Uninstalling all nvidia files went without problems. I then installed the headers and build essential - which didn't need to do anything 'cos it said it was up to date / latest files etc.

Then I tried the Nvidia utility - and chose 1, install new files. Again, it didn't do a whole lot - it said that it had the right file anyway (I chose the 173 since it was the lower older version and I had downgraded to it anyway). Then when it finished, it asked me if I wanted to reboot.

I said yes. D'oh.

I hadn't finished your instructions since I hadn't run the config utility. And when it booted, it gave some problems...

Booting back in it told me that it didn't recognise the UUID of the hard drive. Then it came up with something that suggested a kernel bug. Then it hung.

I Ctrl-Alt-Dlt'd and it booted again. This time, it went all the way through the process and even booted into a KDE desktop (hurrah!) but KWin crashed on startup - a SIGSEGV signal 11. I will report to KDE if it's not already on their bug list.

Anyway, I'm back into a KDE destop - and although Kwin has crashed, my wobbly windows and whiz-bang effects are all still there...

I've rebooted a couple of times and it's all a bit hit and miss as to whether it boots or not... Sometimes I get I/O errors and a hung boot (it doesn't seem to be consistent as to where it hangs although I might need to check that more thoroughly) and sometimes it boots through OK....

I get a bunch of...

"Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:"

and then it lists a few issues that might be the reason. Finally, it shows up:

ALERT! /dev/disc/by-uuid/blah-di-blah-di-blah does not exist. Dropping to a shell.

Then it shows "(initramfs)" for a while before telling me in great detail about Buffer I/O errors on devices, line by line...

I never wait for it to finish since it goes so slow - so I reboot at this point... don't knwo whehther I should be doing that or not, but I do...!

Sometimes it boots into KDE, sometimes not.

Flakiness on a linux system is not what I'm used to -so what's going wrong here and how can I fix it?

Any more help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bag.

Comment

First let's check the UUID situation.

Could you post the output of
            Code:
            sudo blkid
            And could you let us have a copy of your /etc/fstab
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Toad,

Many thanks for your response. Right then, question 1 - entering "sudo blkid" returns:

/dev/sdb: UUID="3817226e-5876-a4a2-d1fb-baf430a641e6" TYPE="mdraid"
              /dev/sdc: UUID="3817226e-5876-a4a2-d1fb-baf430a641e6" TYPE="mdraid"
              /dev/sdh1: LABEL="LIBRARY" UUID="18E0-3504" TYPE="vfat"
              /dev/sdh5: UUID="5410-B879" TYPE="vfat"
              /dev/sdh6: UUID="483b6226-e9a4-4a8a-acdc-44d58fd37a2c" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/sde1: LABEL="LIBRARY" UUID="18E0-3504" TYPE="vfat"
              /dev/sde5: UUID="5410-B879" TYPE="vfat"
              /dev/sde6: UUID="483b6226-e9a4-4a8a-acdc-44d58fd37a2c" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/sdh: UUID="3817226e-5876-a4a2-d1fb-baf430a641e6" TYPE="mdraid"
              /dev/sda1: UUID="99cab34c-089e-43d5-8a73-79e75cf8a153" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/sda2: TYPE="swap" UUID="bdfb2c72-3923-4ac3-94b3-9607a7727cc8"
              /dev/sda3: UUID="dc33ffc6-3193-4d0f-819d-5bdd96eae958" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/sda5: UUID="88e6ee03-65a2-442b-87ed-71a592051a73" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/sda6: UUID="692cd76f-8b58-4024-8e66-a91be3f9c531" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/sda7: UUID="75560e4e-d0c6-4809-a98b-494149cdd5ab" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/sda8: UUID="eb356766-dc38-4314-9dff-11e0d46c7850" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/sdd1: LABEL="LIBRARY" UUID="18E0-3504" TYPE="vfat"
              /dev/sdd5: UUID="5410-B879" TYPE="vfat"
              /dev/sdd6: UUID="483b6226-e9a4-4a8a-acdc-44d58fd37a2c" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
              /dev/md1: UUID="b2c61bf7-d639-40c2-b2fe-0fefe084d755" TYPE="ext3"

and my fstab looks like:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
              #
              # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
              proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
              # /dev/sda3
              UUID=dc33ffc6-3193-4d0f-819d-5bdd96eae958 / ext3 nouser,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
              # /dev/sda1
              UUID=99cab34c-089e-43d5-8a73-79e75cf8a153 /boot ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
              # /dev/sda7
              UUID=75560e4e-d0c6-4809-a98b-494149cdd5ab /distros ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
              # /dev/sda8
              UUID=eb356766-dc38-4314-9dff-11e0d46c7850 /home ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
              # /dev/sda6
              UUID=692cd76f-8b58-4024-8e66-a91be3f9c531 /restore ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
              # /dev/sda5
              UUID=88e6ee03-65a2-442b-87ed-71a592051a73 /tmp ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
              # /dev/sda2
              UUID=bdfb2c72-3923-4ac3-94b3-9607a7727cc8 none swap sw 0 0
              /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
              /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

# RAID block - Raid1 type, two disks of 400GB each
              # /dev/md1
              /dev/md1 /common ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2

I know what this roughly means - but dont' know where you're going or what you're exactly looking for... Please teach me. What exactly are you looking for in all this lot...?

Thanks,

Bag.

Comment

Yes, please look yourself Congruence is the word. The UUIDs as per blkid and those in the fstab have to be identical. CAD behaviour is _usually_ caused by a UUID mismatch.

Yours apparently isn't And you have a RAID which I sadly know nothing about.

I recommend noting down any error messages you get and google them.

Comment

Working...
                X