Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screensaver freezes with Intel 915 (Dell 630m laptop)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screensaver freezes with Intel 915 (Dell 630m laptop)

Hi

Is anyone else experiencing this - I don't have desktop effects enabled or anything similar. When a screensaver (be it OpenGL or even the clock) comes in it starts OK but after a couple of minutes it simply comes to a stop. It doesn't freeze the Laptop as hitting any key will return me to the desktop. As such, I now find screensavers unusable. Just wondering if this is another issue with the intel driver that ships with 8.10.

Re: Screensaver freezes with Intel 915 (Dell 630m laptop)

I just noticed this exact same behavior on my machine here at work.

I'm running the x64 build on an HP DC7700 desktop. This system also has an integrated Intel graphics chipset.

Anyone know what the cause might be?

-SF

Comment

kind of sounds like an ACPI confusion issue, where the screen wants to go blank, but freezes instead. might want to try playing in the power management, or ACPI to see if it goes away.

Comment

The screensaver does actually start, but grinds to a halt.

However, that's an interesting point, because my power button has no effect when Intrepid is running, although it hibernates great.

Any pointers on how I would deal with ACPI?

Thanks

ian

Comment

I think there's an option to turn it off on boot at the login screen. There's also a menu item in the system settings under display, to turn it on. You can also disable it altogether in your system bios usually. I don't know if anything will happen, but you may just want to tinker around with it to see if anything different happens.

I'm in Linksys WUSB11V4 hell right now, trying to find a way to get it working. Have any ideas what I need to install for a wireless adapter?

Trying to build a computer for my g-friends daughter, and got some free pieces off craigslist. People are really nice sometimes. I put an ad out and told them what I was doing, and got a free 19" CRT, which happens to be in really good shape, and the WUSB11 wireless adapter.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check tonight when I get home.

Don't know if this will help with your linksys problem...

http://blog.ebusiness4all.co.uk/2006...ksys-wusb11v4/

Ian

Comment

Well, I checked on my system and the power management stuff was all turned off.

As an experiment, I unchecked the "enable desktop effects" check box and the screen saver ran all night with no problems.

Looks like it might be related to the desktop effects.

I was using the non-GL picture slide show screen saver.

-SF

Comment

Working...
              X