X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display widgets only in dashboard...

Hi,,

I'm trying to arrange my kde 4.1.3 desktop (Intrepid Ibex) and I hoped to add and leave a few widgets into dashboard. No matter what I do, however, they seem to be both on the desktop and dashboard. Is there a way to leave them behind only in dashboard? Thanks..

Re: Display widgets only in dashboard...

"Plasma's dashboard view replaces the old "Show Desktop" feature. Enabling the dashboard hides all windows and puts the widgets in front of them. Press CONTROL+F12 to show the dashboard view, for a quick glance at your plasmoids, read the desktop notes, check for new RSS feeds, have a look at the current weather situation, all that can be done with Plasma."

So it merely 'brings installed plasmoids' to the forefront.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      So it merely 'brings installed plasmoids' to the forefront.
      Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, this function does not improve nor help temporarily remove desktop clutter introduced by the addition of plasma widgets. Hopefully the ability to hide selected widgets from the desktop can be an option in future updates.

--ssri

Comment

Unfortunately, this function does not improve nor help temporarily remove desktop clutter introduced by the addition of plasma widgets.
        This is the first "clutter" I've ever had on my desktop and I quite like it As for the abomination of dumping every file/program onto the desktop - well, one is free to do that (or not).

But to come back to your prob, ssri - I do not think there is a way of having it "the mac way" yet.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
          This is the first "clutter" I've ever had on my desktop and I quite like it As for the abomination of dumping every file/program onto the desktop - well, one is free to do that (or not).

But to come back to your prob, ssri - I do not think there is a way of having it "the mac way" yet.
          Well, one man's clutter is another man's trash . I had widgets populating my xp desktop before using and making custom scripts on samurize or even stardesktop. After awhile, my eyes started to tire from seeing mess I made. It became easier to have a clear head while writing with a clean desktop. If I want the clutter, it would be nice to have it back on with a flick of a switch--yes, the mac way if you will. Initially, I thought having the widgets behind a secret veil (a la mac) was stupid, but there is a method to their madness. Full disclosure: I have yet to try out OSX...

--ssri

Comment

I have yet to try out OSX...
            Hehe - it ain't bad if you don't mind some serious mouse mileage! Honestly, how mac people avoid RSI is totally beyond me. Otherwise it works as advertised, does not crash like windows and is pretty. And of course it is based on Unix, so by definition miles better than its counterpart.

Alternatively you could just wait a couple of months and KDE4 is bound to get round to doing it themselves...
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Anyone try the Apple Widgets? If so how was it done?

I saw a post someplace that it could be tried with KDE 4.x
              The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Working...
              X