This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBOX USB broken yet again!!!??? [SOLVED]

OK. I understand things change, but knowing that there are a quite a few VirtualBOX users, could that not have been taken into consideration for USB functionality in VirtualBOX!! All of the "OLD" fixes don't work anymore because the scripts have been totally re-written. So I ask, has anyone installed 8.10 and have USB working under VirtualBOX and please let me know the "NEW" fix. I mean really, USB is THE connection device now, you'd think that this can be somewhat standard for mounting and for other programs to "see". Yes, I'm somewhat pissed, sorry for ranting. I've gotten so use to going to my virtual environments and being able to print.

Re: VirtualBOX USB broken yet again!!!

Here's what I did to get USB working, just to be clear this is for a Windows XP Guest on 8.10, though I think that is irrelevant.

Edit fstab:

e.g. sudo nano /etc/fstab

and add this line:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=121,devmode=664 0 0

The number after devgid is the group number for group 'vboxusers' which you can check from the Groups tab in KDE User Manager. While you are in KDE User Manager make sure you add your user name to the Group 'vboxusers'.

That did it for me once I'd re-started Kubuntu though a re-start probably isn't necessary but I don't know the command to re-start whatever needs to be re-started.

I've got Guest Additions installed and select the USB devices I want to connect to from the Devices menu.
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Great tip, quarkslot. The command to save a reboot is
      Code:
      sudo mount -a
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for this - I knew there would be a way to avoid a reboot. 8)

Comment

Okay I'm showing my ignorance here but where, please, is the KDE User Manager? I would have no problem if we still had Kcontrol but from within systems settings I cannot see anything that concerns itself with "groups".

A little guidance on this will be much appreciated

Also, whilst on the subject of VB, has anyone ever succeeded in getting their microphone to work in the VM? I have a humble Intel HDA sound card (so perhaps that is half the problem) but maybe if I can get USB support up and running I might be able to use my USB Headset instead. If so, that would be immense progress.

Ian

Comment

Alt+F2 and type kuser and select the first item (KUser)
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

KUser is also in my K menu under the Applications | System tab.

Comment

Same here for KUser. I'll try the FSTAB trick in a little while.

Comment

I still fail to see why something always have to be done to get USB to work for VBox. This method is different than in the past, at least for me, but it does work. So, Quarkslot, thank you very much for this tip. I'll mark this as SOLVED.

Comment

Re: VirtualBOX USB broken yet again!!! [SOLVED]

Yes, it seems to be a moving target, really frustrating!

It might be related to differences in the open source/closed source versions but from reading the Virtualbox FAQ I get the impression that "the Ubuntu guys" keep changing things from one release to the next.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

Anyway, glad to be of assistance for a change, I usually ask questions, not answer them.....

Comment

Glad you could. I was just so pissed at the time, I didn't bother to "search" for it. Had I done that, I'm sure I'd have found it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

It's working for me now, thanks, although it does seem a bit hit and miss. I have a USB Hard Drive but am struggling to come up with the procedure to ensure a faultless detection. Any tips on this i.e at what point do you think I should activate it?

One other point - I've got the version from Sun which is meant to have USB support. What version are you all running - the one from the repository?

Comment

The one I downloaded directly from SUN / VBox. I'm using their latest version. I haven't tried a USB HD yet after getting it to work. It did detect my Printer and ThumbDrive again. I'll try my USB HD and let you know.

Comment

Eureka! The USB capability has really opened things up here. I am to my amazement running Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 within the VM! I have a C-Media USB Headset which whilst recognised by Kubuntu does not actually work, whereas it does within the VM. Oddly, close off the VM and it no longer works which suggests the VM has completely bypassed Kubuntu sound. Good job really because I could not make a traditional microphone work in the VM, probably because the intel drivers for the Sigmatel (or Intel HDA) sound hardware refused to install because of inadequate specs, whereas those from Dell refused to on the grounds it wasn't a Dell Computer!

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                              One other point - I've got the version from Sun which is meant to have USB support. What version are you all running - the one from the repository?
                              I am also using the non OSE as I will require USB support.

I've not really experimented with different USB devices yet but have had success with an external USB drive but like you say, it does seem that things have moved on a lot with USB support.

Comment

Working...
                              X