This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma widgets, where are they ?

First I can just say that I have upgraded Kubuntu 8.04 on two machines to 8.10, both had problems during the upgrade. I had to "dpkg --configure -a" to actually install the downloaded packages. And one rebooted with the filesystem mounted as readonly, so I had to remount it beofre running the command mentioned. After this however things seem to work.

But to my question, when you choose to add a plasma widget there are not many to choose from, I can see 13. I can choose to "download from internet", but on the list that brings up there are only 3. So I went to kde-look.org and tried to download some there and install from file, I tried 3 different ones and none of them seemed to work, nothing happened there were no error message or anything and the widget/plasmoid or whatever it is called did not show up.

So is this simply so new that there is no usable widgets, or am I simply doing something wrong ? All I wanted was to get a cpu monitor, and all three widgets I tried to manually download was supposed to do that.

Re: Plasma widgets, where are they ?

Well, maybe these...:

> Topic: which widgets / plasmoids (incl. instructions)
    > Topic: How do I download / install widgets from the Internet?
    > Re: Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1 (Plasma and Plasmoids)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the links. I guess it was not as finished in this release as I assumed first.

Comment

Try http://www.kde-look.org
        Select "Plasmoids" in the left column.

You can also run Apple Widgets [I have not tried it yet]
        http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

Comment

Originally posted by mae
          Try http://www.kde-look.org
          Select "Plasmoids" in the left column.

You can also run Apple Widgets [I have not tried it yet]
          http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

I just tried a couple of Apple Widgets (thanks for that link, by the way). They were both URL shorteners (one was for is.gd). Neither one worked.

Comment

I tried the "BatteryInfo" widget once. It didn't take being added to the panel well (the top half stayed with the panel on the bottom of the screen, while the bottom half appeared at the top of the screen).

(Granted, that was on Hardy with KDE 4.1.2, but still... )

On a further note, the widget installer seems to show only plasmoid scripts, while ignoring the (much more numerous) binaries. Is there a way for end-users to change whatever setting would allow it to see and install the binaries?
            Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Comment

On a further note, the widget installer seems to show only plasmoid scripts, while ignoring the (much more numerous) binaries. Is there a way for end-users to change whatever setting would allow it to see and install the binaries?
              again:

> Topic: which widgets / plasmoids (incl. instructions)
              > Topic: How do I download / install widgets from the Internet?
              > Re: Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1 (Plasma and Plasmoids)

=> binaries are programs that need to be compiled from the source.

You could:

compile yourself:
              > Topic: Install (almost) any plasmoid
              > FAQ: Installing from source

Use PPA repositories:

PPA repositories are:
              Personal Package Archives (PPA) allow you to upload Ubuntu source packages to be built and published as an apt repository by Launchpad.
              From the PPA repositories you could:

- download a deb, right click it after download is ready, install it with the GDebi (1)
              - add a PPA repository (2) to your sources.list and install plasmoids through your package manager (3)

(1) Package: gdebi
              Simple tool to install deb files

gdebi lets you install local deb packages resolving and installing its dependencies. apt does the same, but only for remote (http, ftp) located packages.

This package contains the graphical user interface.
              (2) An example, how to add repositories > Topic: howto install root options in dolphin/konqueror

another example > Re: Installing Rigs of Rods

(3) > FAQ: Package Managers
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
              X