X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with Ibex...

Hi there,

My problem is thus: My computer seems to be running a lot slower now after installing Kubuntu Ibex. When watching a video file, frames are dropping constantly. It's like a watching DVD layer switch every 5 seconds or so. And don't even bother trying anything in an emulator. I've checked the system monitor and it seems that XOrg and Plasma seem to be spiking the processor usage. Even if I'm not doing anything.

I've been a regular Ubuntu user since 6.04, and a Linux user since '97. I REALLY, really like the new KDE4 interface, but I'm 1/2 tempted to go back to GNOME as none of these issues appear in a GNOME environment...

Any help or pointers would be appreciated...

Re: Issues with Ibex...

Since you notice the slowdown watching video, it is likely related to your video driver. There are other possibilities, strigi-daemon, for example. You can open a Konsole window, run
    Code:
    and then put that window down in the corner of your screen and watch it while you do other things. It will list the running processes in their descending order of resource consumption, so you'll be able to see who the hog is.

What is your graphics chip?

Comment

Re: Issues with Ibex...

An Intel965 on my laptop... I've never had problems with it before. but I used the 915resolution package which seems to be deprecated in Ibex... I concur about the video driver... You think if they're going to replace something it should at least work just as good, if not better than before... Ahh.. the world of Linux...

However, I'm not giving up KDE4 on my laptop... Ever... It's just to darn beautiful...

[img width=400 height=250]http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/29/436434/test.png[/img]

Comment

Working...
      X