This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub Editor

I just discovered that there is now a grub editor entry in systems settings>advanced. I'm very impressed to see this latest improvement in Kubuntu. Great work devs!

Re: Grub Editor

What? I thought I was the GRUB editor ... marshallbanana, you must be mistaken

ok, then, thx for the tip--that's some motivation i need to boot into that sucker this weekend

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
      What? I thought I was the GRUB editor ... marshallbanana, you must be mistaken
      Since I don't have 8.10 yet I haven't seen it yet but if the OP is talking about KGRUBEditor, then perhaps your services will still be required. Sometimes what the KDE developers think of as intuitive, isn't always that for everyone. It never hurts to have someone around who knows the old way and can explain.

DESCRIPTION
      KGRUBEditor is a KDE utility, that edits GRUB's configuration files through an inituitive user interface. It combines both ease of use with flexibility and is the perfect solution for those who want to configure GRUB, without messing with its files.

Comment

The Grub Editor in (KDE 4) System Settings ->Advanced even has a smilie which is a bit of a warning.

Comment

Yep -- it is nice, and pretty intuitive too. However, I had a couple of issues with it.

1. It will happily let you browse to any graphic on your system, to use as a splash image. However, (a) it is still the case that grub splash images have a specification and a file format that they must meet, or else it won't work, and (b) they still have to be located in /boot/grub/splashimages/ to actually be found and used by grub.

2. Make sure your "groot=" hard drive designation is correct -- the editor will copy that for the splashimage line.

Comment

I've only peered around in there.... i tend to make my own Grub splash with Kolorpaint and Gimp, i just love the excitement of that moment immediately after the BIOS splash and before the Grub splash... nail-biting good.

Comment

It's useless, except for the simplest system(s)-- a HD and GRUB in one MBR.
              (I just ran it for 2 HDs, 2 separate GRUB partitions, etc.--
              if I could use that GRUB editor, I wouldn't need it to
              begin with; without Konsole, or one's personal knowledge
              of the system, there's no way of knowing what devices to supply to GUI;
              it failed to detect anything at all on my 1st HD--not the
              MBR nor the GRUB partition; it detected only one of several
              menu.lst's; etcetera; nothing else was working outa the box
              in my new 8.10 setup, so I tried the GRUB editor )
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
              X