Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Font size too large to launch Appearance from system settings to make smaller

Hi,

It is fair to say I am a linux newb but I have been using linux systems for about 8 years. That said, here is my problem:

After upgrading to 8.10 from 7.04, my fonts were too small. So I launched System Settings -> "Apperance" -> Fonts. In there, I changed 2 things:
    1) Force Fonts DPI -> 120 DPI
    2) "Adjust All Fonts..." button -> checked "Size" and set it higher ~26.

Then I rebooted. The fonts are quite huge now, so clearly one of those settings changes was needed, but not both. So I went to change one back, but I cannot launch "Appearance" anymore. I am guessing that it is because the fonts are too big now *groan*

I can open "System Settings" but when I click "Appearance" KDE launches a separate window to show this control, and it is just a huge black box filling my screen. I can resize it, and I can kill it, but nothing is rendered inside it. no title, nothing, just black. The "task bar" on the bottom (panel?) shows the title as "Appearance - System Settings" but I cannot do anything!! I searched for about 2 hours on these forums and elsewhere, but could not figure out how to change these settings by editing config files. Everywhere people just tell you to go through the System Settings GUI. of course, for the "normal" case this makes the most sense because manually editing config files can easily lead to disaster. but there seems to be some KDE rendering bug that is making the "Appearance" menu just a big black box. Since it worked before I made the 2 settings changes I mention above, it seems that when the font is too big, the menu does not know how to redraw itself so that it fits in the window size given... leaving me with a black box that is not clickable or usable. Please help.

Re: Font size too large to launch Appearance from system settings to make smaller

omg well I think I "fixed" it, at least to the point where I am no longer stuck. I finally right-clicked and instead of resizing or moving it to try to get it to render, I clicked "maximize" and when the menu was full-screen it finally rendered itself instead of being all black. That being said, I still think there is a rendering bug in KDE 4.1.2, but I found my own "work-around."

Comment

Working...
    X