This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse seems to disconnect from screen

I have encountered the same issue 4 or 5 times since I switched to Ibex, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

In an extremely random manner after I have been using my computer for 3-5 hours, my mouse seems to disconnect from the screen. I am not sure how to describe it better. The cursor still shows up on my dual monitor setup, I can still move the cursor around, and it changes appropriately when a program is busy. The problem is I can't click on anything, and it doesn't update to indicate where I am hovering it. The icon doesn't change for links like usual in programs like Fx3, and there are no tooltips of any kind.

The only workaround I have right now is to restart x with ctrl+alt+backspace.

Any thoughts or tips? I can provide any logfiles or additional information that will help diagnose the issue.

Re: Mouse seems to disconnect from screen

What type of mouse? Specifically, the connection type: USB, P/S2, wireless, ...
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The connection is P/S2.

Comment

I've experienced the same issue, here's my configuration:

DELL Precision T3400
        Dual-screen with HP LP2475w displays
        Logitech Comfort Cordless Keyboard+Mouse
        Nvidia Quadro NVS 290

I think (95% sure) that this issue occurs when I switch the workspace and for 98% of my time I do it by scrolling wheel on workspace manager (i.e. not using Ctrl+F-key).

My keyboard&mouse is connected using USB and disconnecting+connecting doesn't fix this issue.

Any ideas what could cause this since this is really really annoying problem?

I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with KDE since if I just logout normally (Alt+F1->Logout), the mouse works normally in login screen again.

Comment

I don't use multiple desktops or workspaces, so I'm not sure if this is what is causing the issue for me. I believe it is probably related to KDE4 or kwin as tmak said because I only experience it when in KDE.

Comment

I am still looking for a real solution, but the workaround I have found is for me to remove all of the plasmids attached to my background. For me this included the desktop plasmid and a puzzle.

I was noticing that when this would happen, often the control bar on my desktop plasmid would be shown, which lead me to this workaround. It has been working for about a day now without doing it, I will post more info if/when I find it.

Comment

I have the same problem, and a little more information.

I'm using a Macbook Pro Penryn with an attached apple cinema display. FWIW I'm using the nvidia drivers, though I don't know if that makes a difference. My Mouse is a Countour minimouse:

#dmesg | grep Contour
              [ 267.281019] input: KOOL Contour UniMouse Optical as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb7/7-1/7-1.1/7-1.1.3/7-1.1.3:1.0/input/input11

I saw your comment about getting rid of desktop plasmids. I have no clue what those are (did you mean plasmoids?), but I did notice that while I can't click on any open apps on my desktop, I can click and control on plasmoids, like the postit note.

Killing and restarting plasma from the command line doesn't help.

xev shows no events when I left, right, or middle click, even when I am controlling on a plasmoid.

I can control focus to a limited extent using <option> <tab> and all that, but I just can't *click* on anything.

This is nuts, as Hardy worked fine. If anybody has any ideas what I could check to help with this let me know.

Edit
              I closed my notes plasmoid and got mouse control back, maybe it'll stay this time.

Edit II
              The control lasted only a few minutes. If I muck around with the plasmoids, kill and restart plasma, unplug and plug the mouse back in I can usually get clicks back. I just decided to switch to fluxbox until there's an update. If I ever see an ibex I'm going to skin it alive and throw it off a bridge.

Comment

This is beginning to look like an Nvidia/dual monitor issue based on what I and tmak have written. Is that the set-up for others here?

EDIT
                I re-ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg, then re-ran the nvidia-settings app. Played around with that for awhile and now I no longer have the problem. I think the important thing is to start with a clean xorg.conf file before you run your nvidia-settings app.

Comment

I have also had this problem numerous times.
                  Dell Precision 360.
                  Dual screen - nvidia.
                  both standard usb ball mouse and optical wireless mouse - haven't tried a bus mouse yet.
                  Not able to click but the mouse does move.
                  xev shows no activity - however, once, the scroll wheel showed sporadic responses.
                  xwininfo does change the cursor and registers the window when clicked then returns to no clicking effect again.

I would really like to see a patch, definitive bug log, mouse reset method or solid work around.

Do you think this has something to do with the change to the evdev driver?

Comment

I have cleaned and rebuilt my xorg.conf file several times, but the issue is still happening once every few days for me. I'm almost certain it is related to my dual monitor setup because when I used a single monitor for a week I didn't experience it.

New drivers from nvidia, switching driver souce (repositories vs. direct from nvidia), and reinstalling doesn't really seem to matter.

I'm really frustrated because if there was an error message, or some other diagnostic data I could keep looking into the issue, but right now I'm at a loss.

Comment

same issue but no invidia card can't right, left or center click or scroll
                      using an older e-machine(gateway builds)
                      t2742
                      Intel 2.7 G Hz processor
                      1 G ram(2x512)
                      on board graphics in use(not a super gamer machine just web browser) 845 chipset
                      e-machines keyboard
                      MI optical mouse (PS/2)
                      lite on CD ROM
                      40 gig hard drive WD (xp home 32 bit)
                      320 gig WD hdd with kubuntu 8.10 installed
                      dual boots fine
                      can get all the way in the mouse moves but have no left or right click?

Comment

Working...
                      X