This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desktop effects crashes kde4

Hey, has anyone else had this problem. I was try Intrepid was fooling around with Desktop Effects. I checked Explosion and Wobble Windows. Hit enter and haven't seen my desktop since!! Any ideas? Could it be a graphics card problem and can I get back to the default settings without reinstalling?
    harecanada
    having fun as usual
    harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Re: desktop effects crashes kde4

Yep, that happened to me. It took me three re-installations before I figured it was the fiddling about specifically with the Norway theme that was doing it. I was making some minor colour adjustments. So, on my last installation I stuck with the default oxygen scheme. This does not appear to occur on other customisations. For example, I installed the nicely elegant "Silver Kubuntu" desktop theme. I nearly gave up and tried Linux Lime [you can see where my tastes are coming from] but gave it one more go!

Cheers,

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim. Yeah it seems that if you try any of the desktop effects it corrupts right away. I'm running off the live cd and it still does the same thing. Hardy is a very stable distro. I like it a lot. But I simply love trying the new stuff. Intrepid will stablize out.
      harecanada
      harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Comment

It's most likely attributable to your graphics card and a conflict with it when activating desktop effects. What video card do you have?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

GeForce 5200. Think that might be the problem Snowhog?

Comment

With nVidia cards:
            HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by harecanada
              Hey, has anyone else had this problem. I was try Intrepid was fooling around with Desktop Effects. I checked Explosion and Wobble Windows. Hit enter and haven't seen my desktop since!! Any ideas? Could it be a graphics card problem and can I get back to the default settings without reinstalling?
              harecanada
              having fun as usual
              I would advise that Desktop Effects are still a bit flaky, wait for the 4.2 release.

Comment

Absolutely. I have the same problem with a laptop with Intel 855GM. Let's not blame the video driver. It worked perfect before the upgrade. Turning off desktop effects stopped the KDE krashing.

Comment

I've had the same problem with any enabling of desktop effects. My card is an ATI Radeon 2600 XT, so it's not necessarily a card-dependent phenomenon.

As per the OP's question, is there anyway of restoring the original settings from the command line and thus saving having to reinstall Kubuntu?

thanks for any suggestions

Comment

OK, basically you have to nuke the configuration file which will restore your original post-first boot setup.

mv .kde/share/config/kwinrc .kde/share/config/kwinrcBackup

The .kde folder is in your user directory although it might be called something different like .kde4.

In future, just backup the kwinrc file before you make any changes so that you can restore it in event of KDE going south again, this time without losing all of your changes since your very first boot.

Comment

Working...
                    X