This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared folders in Linux

I have been having a little trouble getting my laptop to share folders with my desktop.

I can get my desktop to share with my wife's XP computer simply by typing this line into Konqueror's address bar:
    smb://ibm/shareddocs and there is her computer.

Is there a way to simply point Konqueror to the public folder on my laptop? Everything I find on the net about Linux networking is quite complicated.

Please don't tell me sharing files between Linux computers is way harder than sending a file over to an XP computer.

Any comments or a link to a good site would be appreciated. I would love to switch all the computers around here over to Linux.

Dale

Re: Shared folders in Linux

Three PCs. Your wifes running Win XP. Your desktop and laptop are running Linux (8.10 on both, or ...?) Obviously SAMBA has been installed on the desktop. Is SAMBA installed on your laptop?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, should have been more specific. My laptop and desktop are both running 8.10.

Comment

I have no experience with samba, but it should also work between different unixes. The alternative is of course ssh which konqueror supports in the form of fish://
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yes, you should be able to type something like smb://192.168.1.100/ into Konqueror or Dolphin and you should get a list of shared folders on your laptop. Just make sure the ip address is the network ip of your laptop.

Comment

Working...
          X