This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] where did my internet go?

I'm running Kubuntu 8.1. Got a DSL connection through a router. I was online this morning but during the day I had my internet service upgraded to a higher speed. When I got back, I logged in and couldn't connect. I never had to configure anything related to the network card or router to get online in kubuntu, so I didnt change anything since then. I'm guessing the upgrade changed something. Anyone got any ideas? Please respond as if you're writing to a 2 year old, I'm hardly a linux expert. Thanks!

Re: where did my internet go?

Originally posted by homer_simpson
    When I got back, I logged in and couldn't connect.
    Have you done a normal shutdown/reboot yet?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes

Comment

If the only change, was that made by your Internet Service Provider to a higher speed account, it is possible that specific ISP settings (IP address and DNS IPs) are different. Contact your ISP Internet Help Desk and inquire. You'll need to access your routers configuration settings so you can compare/update as necessary.

Comment

alright, ill give it a try, as much as I hate my ISP...always trying to screw people...
          Ill be back if nothing works. Thanks!

Comment

you also might want to turn off your modem and router for 5 minutes or so...then turn them back on, modem first, then router, so that the DHCP connection with the ISP is reset. Some modems don't auto reconnect via DHCP when a change is made, but leaving them off for a few minutes usually will force an update when reconnected.
            mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

muzicman0, it worked! I did the exact thing you mentioned and I'm online now. Thanks a lot everyone. Where do I mark this as solved?

Comment

Glad I could help!

To change it, go to your first post, and choose 'Modify' and just change the subject line to include [SOLVED].

take care!
                mm0
                Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
                  you also might want to turn off your modem and router for 5 minutes or so...then turn them back on, modem first, then router, so that the DHCP connection with the ISP is reset.
                  Good call mm0! I should have remembered that - I've had to do that on more than one occasion for other reasons. :P

Comment

Working...
                  X