This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] another sound problem

At login or Logout I can hear the system sounds through my speakers like I should (except my login sound gets cut off like many others). However when I use Amarok, it seams to be playing the CD's or the MP3's I tell it too but I get no sound. On the internet I can see video but I don't get any sound there either. Does this sound like a problem with Pulse Audio? In another thread near the top someone has recommended uninstalling any packages that start with pulse if one has problems, he said that he found seven or eight, I'm not sure that I have any.

Any ideas?

EDIT:
    I formatted both the root and the home folder and sound was working properly when I reinstalled amarok with mp3 support. I hesitate to call it the solution because I'm sure there is a much better way.

Re: another sound problem

Open Adept Manager and search on pulse and see if/how many are marked as installed. On second thought, scratch that. Gawd the current version of Adept Manager sucks!!

I recommend you install synaptic if you haven't already. Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    When it's finished installing, it will be available in K Menu > Applications > System

Use it to search on pulse and see what, if anything matching it are marked as installed. Just note what they are at this point.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Using Synaptic to search Pulse, the following packages are shown to be installed:

libasound2-plugins
      liba02
      libpulse0
      libgsm1

and no others. It may also be useful to know that playing a DVD with Dragon Player works with Sound.

Comment

That you here the login sound - cut off (like everyone else using Intrepid) - and that you have normal sound when playing DVDs, means you don't have anything wrong with your sound. So, it's an issue with Amarok. I'm looking into that.

Take a look at this post. Make sure that you have configured Amarok according to the steps I outlined.

Comment

I have followed the instructions, and they do not seem to have any effect. I think you are probably right, that it is a problem with Amarok but I have no idea what is capable of cutting my sound in amarok and firefox (so far I've tried last.fm, youtube, and ted.com). without affecting sound for Dragon or the login.

Comment

Check the Engine settings. This is what my settings are:
            Attached Files

Comment

my own is identical except the "speaker arrangement" pulldown menu is not selectable. Also I am sure this did not happen ever before but when I opened amarok this error meggage popped up:
              "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers."
              I expect that explains why I am having a problem, let me know if I'm wrong.

Comment

When did Amarok start exhibiting this 'behavior?'

Comment

After installing 8:10 from scratch it was never working properly. From scratch except for my home folder which is on a separate partition. So I installed the Kubuntu_restricted_extras thinking that was all I needed, then I tried Amarok, youtube, etc. and had no sound.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerstudd
                    ...except for my home folder which is on a separate partition.
                    Previous settings in your home folder will have been retained. You can do this (it's what I would do if in your position, but, you have to decide if you want to "risk" it):

Open a console and type the following:
                    Code:
                    cd ~/.kde/share/apps
                    mv amarok amarok_BAD
                    Exit the console. Uninstall amarok using synaptic and tell it to completely uninstall. When that's finished, reinstall amarok. This will result in a new amarok folder being created in your home folder. Then start amarok and follow my previous steps for configuring. Try it out.

Comment

I uninstalled it, then I reinstalled it. However when I went to follow your previous advice, my cd drive was already recognized as a media device with the name I gave it before re installation.

Comment

NOTE:
                        When I click on a song to play it I always get a"xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers." popup. It no longer appears to be playing through the song.

Comment

sorry for triple posting, but I found this. It sounds like it might be my problem but I don't know if the solution works, or what it means.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3093091

Comment

Open K Menu > System Settings > Sound > Device Preferences > Audio Output > Music

Under Output Device Preference for the 'Music' Category: what is listed?

Click on the Backend tab. Is Xine the driver?

Comment

HDA Intel ALC883 Analog is the output device. Xine is the driver. There are no other drivers selectable.
                              I have found this thread and posted in it. The people who have the problem with Ibex suggest that Pulseaudio is to blame.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amarok/+bug/68187

Comment

Working...
                              X