This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to kpdf?

In 8.1, what happened to kpdf? It appears to have been replaced by okular. However okular seems to be virtually non-functional. It does not display fonts in many PDF documents, or in some cases it displays fonts incorrectly. It looks like okular uses ghostscript for a backend, but ghostscript has no problem rendering the documents that okular can't.

Re: What happened to kpdf?

I've been impressed with Okular, especially its marking/bookmarking capabilities which exceed those of kpdf.

Having said that, I have not experienced any problems with fonts nor anything else for that matter. The okularrc file is not of much help...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I agree - okular is a great program. I'm just looking for a solution to my problem. I'm sure okular works correctly, but what I am seeing is from an install starting from kubuntu 8.10, then upgrading to kde 4.1.3. Are you using okular on KDE 4.1.3? It used to work for me on 4.1.2...

Comment

A couple of trouble shooting ideas:

1. have you got ttf-liberation installed (from the medibuntu repository)?

2. could you perhaps send me the offending pdf (if it does not contain any secret/confidential/offending/whatever stuff) as an attachment to a pm? That way I could check on my system.

We should be able to get this sorted
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Strangely, the font problems only occur in confidential documents. Even really complex non-confidential documents like pgfmanual.pdf look fine. I am trying to make a test case, but it requires considerable complexity before the problem shows up.

Comment

The problem appears to be coming from which fonts are used. I am using latex/dvipdf to generate documents. If I use non-free Adobe Arial fonts I get the problem, but if I use the default computer-modern fonts I don't see the problem. There are other confidential documents that are not mine, and are even much worse. However making a test case is still difficult because a lot of the time the Arial fonts render correctly.

Comment

In that case you probably want to install msttcorefonts - again from medibuntu (search in the forum and follow Snowhog's howto).

Comment

Any idea why I would suddenly need msttfonts? The Adobe Arial fonts always
                worked fine with kpdf, and even worked fine with okular on KDE 4.1.2.
                I have attached a pdf test case here. You need to scroll down a few pages, and then
                you will see that the fonts get messed up at the top of the page, and on many subsequent
                pages.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X