This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login screen wrong size

After upgrading to intrepid, my login screen is too narrow. There is a vertical line on the right and left with garbage and a normal login screen in the middle. I have an Intel 855GM based laptop (Toshiba Libretto U100).

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device [8086:3582] (rev 02)

It is a wide screen and the standard setting is 1280x768. Does anyone know how to correct this? Thanks.

Re: Login screen wrong size

If its the wrong resolution than this might help. I had this happen in hardy and I followed this example.
    I found the error in Edgy: when the installation built my xorg.conf, it created a totally unnecessary entry that defined a virtual desktop of 1400x1050 even though the max resolution of my monitor is 1024x768. Here is the offending snippet from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter"
    Monitor "A75f"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    depth 24
    virtual 1400 1050
    modes "1024x768@85" "1024x768@75" "832x624@75" "1024x768@70" "800x600@60" "$
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

The "virtual 1400 1050" entry is the culprit. I commented it out and rebooted, and the problem went away.
    or from another post in same section

I had the same problem for months and then one morning it started to bug me and I googled for kdm and resolution and found your postings.

I got it working by not just commenting the "Virtual" line but instead replacing the values with my current resolution, that is:

SubSection "Display"
    # Virtual 2048 1536
    Virtual 1280 1024
    Depth 24

I always use resolution of 1280X1024 so this works for me, but problems might occur if you need to change your resos for example with Ctrl+Alt++ and Ctrl+Alt+-. At least for me that doesn't work very well. In case you have a laptop you probably won't need that feature.

In addition I have to say that if you want to chenge the resolution of the Usplash check following https://help.ubuntu.com/community/US...omizationHowto

Comment

I read several threads on Ubuntu Forums that suggest, for those Intel graphics chips, that you need to change color depth to 16, in lieu of 24.

Comment

Originally posted by swalker23
        If its the wrong resolution than this might help. I had this happen in hardy and I followed this example...
        In addition I have to say that if you want to chenge the resolution of the Usplash check following https://help.ubuntu.com/community/US...omizationHowto
        I had already looked at the virtualization info. That is not my problem. I think I probably need to resize the usplash. I will try that. No offense dibl, but I have no intent to reduce my color depth for this. That is a bit extreme for an annoyance. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X