Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Sound not playing, login sound choking up. [Not solved]Amarok-scratchin

My situation is such that I have a music CD in my drive and I can't figure out how to get Amarok to play it. Also, I used the music-download-from-the-internet feature in Amarok, just to test the sound on my OS install. It doesn't play, either. Amarok has a really nice feature with this download service, though. Great ideas employed here. But, my computer doesn't play the music. So my problem is twofold:

1. Login sound for KDE loading does not play completely, only a small part.

2. Amarok does not play music CD. Can't figure out how to get it to do that. And if I did, I do not think that it would actually play the music.

Any help with these would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

theAdmiral

Re: Sound not playing, login sound choking up.

That you hear part of the logon sound means you do have working sound. That issue - partial playing of logon sound - has already been commented on.

As to Amarok. Here's what you need to do.
    01) Open a console and type:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Note the mount point of your CD/DVD drive. Mine shows as:
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    The mount point is in red.
    02) Put a music CD in your player. Start Amarok.
    03) Click on Settings > Configure Amarok... > Media Devices
    04) Click on Add Device...
    05) Click the down arrow under Select the plugin to use with this device (required): and select Generic Audio Player
    06) Click the down arrow under Enter a name for this device (required): and type in what you want to call the device - I used CD
    07) Click the down arrow under Enter the mount point of the device, if applicable: and type in the mount point to your cdrom from the fstab entry
    08) Click OK, Apply, and OK

At this point, you should only need to click on Engage > Play Audio CD, wait for it to populate the playlist, click on Engage and then click the play button.

I did this exact procedure after reading your post. I have my CD of Enya - The Cels playing as I type this.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was trying to figure out how to keep the window in Amarok from hiding in the tray upon startup, and while I was making some changes to the configuration, my video crashed. Do you know of anything I can do to fix it without going through everything I have gone through to get this far?

Thanks,
      theAdmiral

Comment

So, trying to keep things lean in this forum, I deleted my previous topic about the disc and will re-write it here. Is there a way to perform a recovery from a video crash with the OS disc?

thanks,
        theAdmiral

Comment

Shouldn't need to. When you reboot, at the Grub menu, select the recovery kernel:
          Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
          When you select this kernel, you will be presented with options, one of which is to repair the video (if memory serves me).

Comment

this did not help. should i reinstall?

Comment

I just proved to my complete satisfaction that the problem is limited strictly to audio CDs. Data CDs and bootable CDs work just fine. Audio CDs do not. @Admiral, I'd love to see you check this out on your system and report back what you find.

I think this must have to do with this new "Pulse Audio" system.

So, if data CDs work in your optical drive, then that says there's nothing wrong with the hardware or the installation. It's all about the Kubuntu Pulse Audio software, I think.

Comment

How can I check this idea if I don't have video

Comment

FIXED!

You need to completely remove Pulse Audio. I'm using Synaptic because I haven't taken time to unravel the mysteries of the new Adept Manager. So, in Synaptic I marked every package that starts with "pulse" for "complete removal" -- there were about 7 or 8 of them. Then click "Apply" and let 'em go bye-bye.

Then I did a shutdown/restart of the system.

With VLC, I can open and play my audio CD -- it's playing right now. It did not automatically pop up in a window and invite me to play it, when I inserted it, but it does play.

8)

Comment

are u going to answer my question, dibl?

Comment

Originally posted by theAdmiral
                      How can I check this idea if I don't have video
                      It unrelated to video.

Do you have a data CD (a CD that has had data burned on it). Or a bootable CD, like one that you used to install Kubuntu? Insert such a CD into your CD ROM drive, while Kubuntu is running, wait a minute or two, and open Dolphin or Konqueror and see if you can see the CD and data on it. If yes, then there's nothing wrong with your CD ROM drive or the installation.

EDIT: OK, I just now saw where you had a video crash. Sorry, too many breakages, I think.

Ummmmmmmm, if you don't have any video, playing audio CDs isn't really a top priority, is it? :P

At the CLI, and assuming you've logged in, enter
                      Code:
                      sudo shutdown now -r
                      and then when the boot menu comes back up, choose "Recovery Mode" and then on the first screen choose "Fix X", and then "Resume normal boot".

I'll cross my fingers ....

Comment

dibl@

You missed what he reported down in this thread. He had his video "crash" and no longer has video:
                        I was trying to figure out how to keep the window in Amarok from hiding in the tray upon startup, and while I was making some changes to the configuration, my video crashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          That issue - partial playing of logon sound - has already been commented on.

I'm sorry, I cannot find a solution to this? Where is the file that plays the logon sound?

Comment

This issue is solved. This post is working on a variety of issues that are now unrelated to the login chime.

Comment

Originally posted by aiiee
                              I'm sorry, I cannot find a solution to this? Where is the file that plays the logon sound?
                              K Menu > System Settings > Notifications > System Notifications > Event Source > KDE System Notifications

Comment

Working...
                              X