X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 crashes randomly

Hi,
    I have recently updated from Kubuntu Hardy with KDE4.1 to Intrepid. Since the update I have the problem that KDE crashes randomly after between 5 minutes and about half an hour working on it. It seems not to be connected with any particular program.
    After crashing a screen with plenty of notices shows up but it shows up too short to read. Is there any way to trace back why KDE crashes? Or has anyone had a similar problem?
    Thanks,
    Diaboflo

P.S. I have a Thinkpad R50e

Re: KDE4 crashes randomly

There's a system log at /var/log/syslog that should show what's been going on.

Another thought would be to run
    Code:
    when your desktop is running correctly, and park that window down in the corner of your screen, and keep an eye on it while you work. When your KDE crashes, I would expect something interesting to be going on with the processes and resource consumption -- maybe you can catch the bad actor by watching the top window.

Comment

The problem is that the screen suddenly goes blank without any warning so I cannot check with "top" if something interesting happens.

This is a part of /var/log/syslog, I couldn't see anything that hints to the crashes. The crash happened around 13:40
      Code:
      Nov 8 13:39:03 flo-laptop NetworkManager: <info> (eth1): supplicant connection state change: 6 -> 7 
      Nov 8 13:39:05 flo-laptop kdm[4791]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
      Nov 8 13:39:10 flo-laptop console-kit-daemon[4566]: WARNING: Unable to activate console: No such device or address 
      Nov 8 13:39:10 flo-laptop console-kit-daemon[4566]: GLib-GObject-WARNING: instance of invalid non-instantiatable type `(null)' 
      Nov 8 13:39:10 flo-laptop console-kit-daemon[4566]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_signal_emit_valist: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed 
      Nov 8 13:39:10 flo-laptop console-kit-daemon[4566]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed . 
      Nov 8 13:39:11 flo-laptop acpid: client connected from 13627[0:0] 
      Nov 8 13:39:13 flo-laptop kernel: [ 6346.833270] __ratelimit: 6 callbacks suppressed
      Nov 8 13:39:13 flo-laptop kernel: [ 6346.833295] scim-launcher[12913]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000 sp bfe005dc error 4 in scim-launcher[8048000+4000]
      Nov 8 13:39:20 flo-laptop kdm_greet[13680]: Cannot open default user face
      Nov 8 13:39:34 flo-laptop NetworkManager: <info> (eth1): supplicant connection state change: 7 -> 6 
      Nov 8 13:39:34 flo-laptop NetworkManager: <info> (eth1): supplicant connection state change: 6 -> 7 
      Nov 8 13:40:02 flo-laptop /USR/SBIN/CRON[13728]: (root) CMD ([ -x /usr/sbin/update-motd ] && /usr/sbin/update-motd 2>/dev/null)
      Nov 8 13:40:05 flo-laptop NetworkManager: <info> (eth1): supplicant connection state change: 7 -> 6
      Cheers,
      Florian

Comment

Actually, you would probably get more information by checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log or Xorg.0.log.old. I am having the same problem. I have a Toshiba Libretto U100 with an Intel 855GM

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device [8086:3582] (rev 02)

It's standard resolution is 1280x768. Next time mine crashes, I will post the log to this thread.

Comment

This is the backtrace part of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old. I hope that's the interesting part. There seems to be some

Code:
          Backtrace:
          0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x79) [0x80c3009]
          1: [0xb8033400]
          2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so(__glXContextDestroy+0x23) [0xb7b501d3]
          3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0xb7b5dade]
          4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so(__glXFreeContext+0x89) [0xb7b52859]
          5: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0xb7b528a7]
          6: /usr/bin/X(FreeResourceByType+0xe2) [0x8073c72]
          7: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0xb7b4eb77]
          8: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0xb7b52c0a]
          9: /usr/bin/X(Dispatch+0x34f) [0x808c89f]
          10: /usr/bin/X(main+0x47d) [0x8071d1d]
          11: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe5) [0xb7c34685]
          12: /usr/bin/X [0x8071101]
          Saw signal 11. Server aborting.
          (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
          (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
          (II) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: Close
          (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
          (II) Video Bus: Close
          (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 0
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 1
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 2
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 3
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 4
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 5
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 6
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 7
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 8
          (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 9
          Does that give a hint to the problem?
          Thanks,
          Florian

Comment

Florian,

I would suggest you post the whole thing. The smart folks who may be able to help you will need to see what was going on before it puked. I did an upgrade on mine and have a number of things still not working the way I want them, so I am planning to just reload and hopefully that will fix it.

Comment

I kind of had the same problem.
              I was working on something when all of a sudden the screen went black (like when you start up your PC) and it actually asked to enter my username.. I was trying to enter it when it went back to the nice "enter username/password" Kubuntu's window by itself, so I wasn't even able to enter the full username; then I had to type in my password and I had to start all over (including reconnecting to my wireless connection).

I found out that it is caused because the "desktop effects" option was checked.
              I unchecked that and the issue is gone. I am not sure if it is the same problem as yours, but it is something you can try.

By the way, is there any fix for this issue?? I would like to be able to use the 3D effect/

(and bear with me guys with your replays, I am an absolute beginner with Linux so... English please )

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. This solved my problem. Unfortunately, well intentioned but incorrect folks are blaming video drivers. That's a load of wonderful smelling daisies. Hopefully this will be fixed in future updates. As of right now, it is not worth a fresh install just to get desktop effects working. We are the world, we are the children...

Comment

Unfortunately, fanboys/girls are blaming video drivers.
                  lingenfr - are you quite right in the head? Here is people trying to get to the bottom of things and you are dissing them? wtf?

I'm glad your problem got sorted btw but get a grip!
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

toad,

I'm probably not right in the head but what does that have to do with it? As my intent was not to make you mad, I revised my post. The bottom line is that other folks who certainly should know better are pointing noobs who are experiencing this problem toward their video drivers. Based on the number of posts with the wide variety of graphics cards, if it is a driver problem it is certainly sufficiently widespread that KDE/Kubuntu ought to be posting information outlining the subset of graphics cards/drivers that support desktop effects or better yet, turning it off by default. If my revised post or this post continue to offend you, I will be glad to revise or delete them. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation and same to you (whatever is left of it in your part of the world)
                      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'm having the same problem as Nelson B., but my difference is that I don't have desktop effects installed, let alone enabled. My machine is a Compaq nx9020 with an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 display adapter.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'll be happy to post any error logs, if needed. But I don't want to clutter up my post with any of that just yet.
                        In hindsight, everything can be funny<br />--Anonymous

Comment

Bump.
                          In hindsight, everything can be funny<br />--Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by leftbas
                            I'm having the same problem as Nelson B., but my difference is that I don't have desktop effects installed..
                            Not sure what you mean by "I don't have desktop effects installed".. I didn't have any desktop effects installed either, I was referring to the Desktop Effects BOX that by default is checked.

Don't know if it does make sense, but just in case.. make sure that that box is not checked.

Comment

Working...
                            X