Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE open gl effects activation results in black screen with shadows of windows..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE open gl effects activation results in black screen with shadows of windows..

Hi,

I've recently installed Kubuntu. I'm quite used to server install, but that's my first run of a linux with X on my personnal computer.

I've took a look to the settings, I saw the kde open gl effects, I try to activate them.

And what I got is a black screen with the shadow of the taskbar (but not the taskbar itself) and the same for every window I can open.

With CTRL+ALT+Fx I can get a term, but I don't know what to do to desactivate the opengl effect.

By the way, I've got a 8800GTX, I've been prompt to install nvidia drivers, I did installed it.
    But I'm not sure it install quite well, how can I check it's correctly installed ?

Thomas

Re: KDE open gl effects activation results in black screen with shadows of windows..

Yeahhh... I've some old souvenir of the time I use Redhat 5.

I've found the ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc

set

[Compositing]
    Enabled=true

to

[Compositing]
    Enabled=false

And re-switch to the X session with CTRL+ALT+F7 and restart X with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and it goes back to normal (I remember thoses things, kwinrc, i didn't know until I grep the file for effect

Any Idea of how I can successfully activate effects on my KDE with my 8800GTX card ?

Thomas.

Comment

Re: KDE open gl effects activation results in black screen with shadows of windows..

Well, if someone can help you get back to the normal desktop settings, click "Advanced Options' under Desktop Effects and change the compositing type to XRender. That's what I had to do, it sucks, but it works. I also have a 8800GTX, actually two. XD

I just decided to reinstall Kubuntu to reset the desktop. xD Not necessary probably, but eh.

Comment

definitively not necessary, as I said (with the kwinrc modification and CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X).

I'll try XRender.... (I've just switch off my computer (I'm on my laptop))

Why does it sucks XRender ?

Comment

Sorry, I didn't read that part. :P Well, XRender probably doesn't really suck... It's my drivers I bet, since I can't get the newest ones working. Just see how it works out for you. :P

Comment

Apparently there's an issue running EnvyNG with two cards installed (I'm not so lucky ...):

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099022.0

Comment

Working...
            X