This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two row taskbar

In KDE3 if the panel was high enough, the taskbar would get two rows. Can I do the same in KDE4? It was kind of essential for making best use of my screen space.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Re: Two row taskbar

There's a multi-row task manager widget, i have tried it but not for a couple of days because it crashed plasma....

I'll give it another try and let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
      There's a multi-row task manager widget, i have tried it but not for a couple of days because it crashed plasma....

I'll give it another try and let you know.
      roflmao

I've got a ladybird on-screen now.

A Fatal Error Occurred
      The application Plasma Workspace (plasma) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
      Please help us improve the software you use by filing a report at http://bugs.kde.org. Useful details include how to reproduce the error, documents that were loaded, etc.
      There seem to be problems with it....

Comment

cantab, do you run dual monitors? If so, what I did was added a second panel to monitor two and added another task manager widget to that panel. I then changed the task manager settings to ONLY show tasks on the screen they appear. Works great for me.

Comment

Thank goodness I'm not the only one getting problems with Plasma. Seems when I try to customize it to be more to my taste, it meets some random fatal error. Widgets aren't the way to go for me... back to KDE 3 i go.

Comment

Originally posted by cpradio
            cantab, do you run dual monitors?
            Not any more
            I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by cantab
              In KDE3 if the panel was high enough, the taskbar would get two rows. Can I do the same in KDE4? It was kind of essential for making best use of my screen space.
              You will be able to set a (maximum) number of task bar rows in KDE 4.2

Comment

:sigh: They really did push KDE4 out early. Seems even 4.1 is still beta really. I'm starting to consider switching to gnome.

/rant

Comment

sorry to hijack a little, but will it also have the capability to have two toolbars directly above/below each other? That would be really cool!!!
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                    sorry to hijack a little, but will it also have the capability to have two toolbars directly above/below each other? That would be really cool!!!
                    You mean two panels stacked?

Probably not (At least there is no immediately apparent way to set that up in the alpha)...You can have a normal panel and an auto-hiding one on the same edge, though.

EDIT: Theoretically, you could 'cheat' by creating a side panel, flattening it and stretching it to the width of the desktop, and then move that next to your existing top/bottom panel. But I don't think the widgets would align correctly on it. :P

Comment

EDIT: Theoretically, you could 'cheat' by creating a side panel, flattening it and stretching it to the width of the desktop, and then move that next to your existing top/bottom panel. But I don't think the widgets would align correctly on it. Tongue
                      Nice idea but no biscuit - fairly amusing outcome though - I tried it.

Shame though, that would be quite something - taskbars you could move about like toolbars in OOo for example...

Thanks nevertheless.
                      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Come to think of it, why CAN'T I free a panel from the edges of the screen! Isn't a panel just a plasmoid? Shouldn't a plasmoid be able to go anyway? FREE THE PANELS!

Also, my reason for sticking with KDE all these years has been Amarok. And now Amarok's not even KDE4 yet!

/rant

Ironically, I've actually set up my KDE4 rather like Gnome. Top panel has K Menu, quick launch icons, system tray and clock. Bottom panel has taskbar and desktop pager.

Comment

Come to think of it, why CAN'T I free a panel from the edges of the screen! Isn't a panel just a plasmoid? Shouldn't a plasmoid be able to go anyway? FREE THE PANELS!
                          Panel liberation front founded, for membership please go here: www.panelslive.com

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                            Panel liberation front founded, for membership please go here: www.panelslive.com

That address gives me a:

Address Not Found
                            www.panelslive.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.
                            The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of

"www.mozilla.org")

* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Yes, i know.

Comment

Working...
                            X