This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[3/4 fixed] pains in my butt

two things to start off. First is that i only have two desktops, no matter how many times i go to computer>system settings and change number of desktops to 4 it still stays 2.

next and more annoying is the best way to describe this is I have two task bars overlaying each other. creating a composting/ghost image with the lower one is slightly to the left and all i can click on the system tray is the time, recently pluged in and show desktop and the 2 desktops underneath i see some more icons cliper sound but cant access them.

Help

Ted

Re: pains in my butt

At the right of the panel is a grey curly arrow that goes orange when you mouseover it. Click that and another black bar will pop up. Drag that and you can move the panel. Then you should be able to clearly see both, and sort out the mess.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Re: pains in my butt

3/4 fixed. compiz updated today, when i turned it back on, I could adjust the number of desktops. i have icons in the tray. i just have the shadows.

Ted

Comment

Re: [3/4 fixed] pains in my butt

First, see if turning off (assuming they are on) the Desktop Effects in KDE makes a difference:

K Menu > System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > General > Enable desktop effects
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That would kill compiz

I'll live with the ghost on the bar. I see the system tray icons so I guess its fine.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by smeghead67
            That would kill compiz
            I doubt that. At least, it should not. Compiz is a windows manager of it's own accord. The setting I referred to controls the KDE windows manager.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As for your 2 desktops, perhaps you could edit the kwinrc file (~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc). I'm not sure that's the ultimate controller, but it does list my 4 desktops there.

Just be advised that you'll need to do this while logged out of kde4, otherwise the changes probably won't stick.

Comment

Working...
              X