X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multimedia Help

Hi Guys

I am new to the whole Linux platform. I've always used Windows.

Now I have decided to try out Linux and I choose Kubuntu. I would greatly appreciate it you someone could tell me how I can make Kubuntu play all types of multimedia files (including DVDs)

At the moment I can't even play YouTube videos, it says I need flash, but I don't know how to get Flash on Kubuntu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys.

Re: Multimedia Help

To get the varoius multimedia working, follow the instructions for adding the medibuntu repository here:
    http://t0x.in/medibuntu.html

Then, in the software installer adept you can install the following: libdvdcss, w32codecs (or w64codecs if you're using 64-bit).

To get flash working, you want to install the flashplugin-nonfree package.

I'm assuming here that you're comfortable with using adept and some basic terminal command stuff - is any of that an issue?

Comment

All you have to do is just open up a shell and enter these commands one at a time and it all should be good right?

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
      sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
      sudo apt-get install w32codecs
      or
      sudo apt-get install w64codecs

Comment

@ wrender

could it be that you forgot a
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        as the second command?
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

What does that do?

Comment

out of "man apt-get"

update
            update is used to resynchronize the package index files from their sources. The indexes of
            available packages are fetched from the location(s) specified in /etc/apt/sources.list. For
            example, when using a Debian archive, this command retrieves and scans the Packages.gz files, so
            that information about new and updated packages is available. An update should always be
            performed before an upgrade or dist-upgrade. Please be aware that the overall progress meter will
            be incorrect as the size of the package files cannot be known in advance.
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
            X