X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's the maroon?

Originally posted by JTN
    If you want to put icons on your desktop, just right-click anywhere on the screen & select 'unlock widgets'. Then, go thru your 'start menu' right click on the application you want and select 'add to desktop'. You can then re-lock your 'widgets'.
    The "problem" isn't shortcuts... it's actual files. An no, a folderview isn't good enough because I don't know what corner of my desktop is going to be visible any given moment when I want to temporarily park a file there... it really disrupts the flow of work having to place files in a particular spot.

Comment

You could even put separate folderviews in each corner of your desktop if you really needed that functionality. But regardless, the "traditional" desktop will be an option in 4.2. And you can already install 4.2 if you're feeling adventurous. There's a thread here about that somewhere.

Comment

I just "upgraded" if you want to call it that a few days ago.

I hate the new menu with it's gigantic icons at the top (I'm not blind and there doesn't appear to be a way to resize them) and the click to activate categories behavior with the back button on the side. One of the very first things I did was change my theme/colors to dark and I couldn't see the back button so it took me a while to figure out how the hell you were supposed to exit a selected category. Yeah, I know you can switch to a traditional menu but I don't like it either. The favorites menu in traditional appears to show whatever it wants instead of what I configured, right click launches the app (WTF? that is never the expected or intended behavior of a right click!).

The "cashew" plasmoid in the top right is annoying as hell. I hate it and I want it gone. It has no use whatsoever, all it does is unlock/add widgets, which you can already do from the panel/desktop/menu! So I don't need this stupid ugly thing there interfering with objects I try to place near it.

The resize behavior of the widgets is weird and supremely annoying. They have little or none of the configurability for which I use KDE. I gave up trying to get my desktop to look or do what I wanted and just removed everything except the panel rather than deal with this unconfigurable mess of half-assed widgets.

The panel won't allow me to resize it to smaller than the default, only bigger. The bottom of the panel (I have it at the top of the screen) vanishes if I try to make it any smaller.

Amazingly they have managed to make Adept even worse than before. Now the filter system is written in a cryptographic alien language of squares and arrows of varying colors with a list of "nots" below it. I got Synaptic installed as soon as I could.

As far as I can tell I'm no longer allowed to have a pseudo transparent Konsole. Konsole has real transparency now. Okay, great... except I can't use real transparency because my computer is old and compositing causes it to implode, and I don't want other windows showing through my console anyway, I want it to show the desktop.

The list could go on, but I'll spare you. Until this mess (which I hate almost as much as Gnome) is made usable again I might use XFCE for a while. I haven't decided if I feel like suffering through with KDE until upgrades whenever they come along fix this.

Comment

I am getting tired of people just moaning about how they do not understand this, don't like that, bla.

Either you ask a question of how to do what you want to do (best one thread per question) or you look into your problem yourself and solve it.

@ Miradwyn

All of your points can be fixed - it doesn't take that much to find out how (even I managed!).

I suggest you keep to 8.04 or get pro active.

And I wish you had spared us. Perhaps best to do so in the future...

Having said that, it does help to vent stuff every now and then
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

That's real helpful. Why bother posting if your only point is to be a jerk?

I'm quite familiar with searching for solutions to my own problems. I already searched for help with pseudo transparency in Konsole and found nothing relevant to KDE4. I searched and found a plasmoid "I hate the cashew" on kde-look to get rid of the cashew but I can't get it to work, and so on...

But since you have managed to fix all of my problems be so kind as to share with the class so I can spare you my frustrating week in the future as you so kindly suggested.

Comment

Well, that comes from just venting stuff - I didn't want to offend, sorry. But perhaps now you know what effect it has on people.

If you know how to look for stuff, well, I'm not stopping you.

cashew - there is a plasmoid called "I HATE cashew" - install that and all is well

Your other points are, well, not points really. I can do them all on my KDE4.1 and it is a complete mystery to me how one could not do it. But I already suggested that you start a thread for each point you have and stop trolling.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Miradwyn
                [ ... ]
                The "cashew" plasmoid in the top right is annoying as hell. I hate it and I want it gone. It has no use whatsoever, all it does is unlock/add widgets, which you can already do from the panel/desktop/menu! So I don't need this stupid ugly thing there interfering with objects I try to place near it.
                [ ... ]
                The list could go on, but I'll spare you. Until this mess (which I hate almost as much as Gnome) is made usable again I might use XFCE for a while. I haven't decided if I feel like suffering through with KDE until upgrades whenever they come along fix this.
                What is wrong with using Hardy, 3.5.10? I use it as default, and probably will continue to do so.

Incidentally, i fully agree with your thoughts concerning the dying slug.

Comment

For the cashew:
                  add this to your sources.lst from rog:
                  reload open up synaptic and check sources. you will find a lot of plasmoids there, one of which is the kill cashew. Install that and activate it from the "add widgets" panel.

As for the rest: No comment, no time for any of this
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thank You for that, Fintan.

Comment

Thanks, Fintan BTW, these are from Rog, so hat off to him (or troll him if they don't work )

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                        For the cashew:
                        add this to your sources.lst from rog:
                        reload open up synaptic and check sources. you will find a lot of plasmoids there, one of which is the kill cashew. Install that and activate it from the "add widgets" panel.

As for the rest: No comment, no time for any of this
                        Beautiful, a clean desktop, and the dying slug has gone to slug heaven !

My thanks to Rog.

Comment

Working...
                        X