Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved]Can I mount a NTFS drive with no password in 8.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Can I mount a NTFS drive with no password in 8.10?

I have a fresh install of 8.10. It sees my NTFS drive, and I can read/write to it, but not until after I click on its icon in Dolphin (Icon on left side - 'places'), then I have to enter a password, and for the rest of the session, it is mounted fine.

I want to be able to mount it without a password (I want to store some files on there, like desktop backround, etc). I checked my fstab, but there is not mention of sdb there.

Any ideas?

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Re: Can I mount a NTFS drive with no password in 8.10?

I'm assuming it's an external USB HD or Thumb?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

nope, it's internal, that's why I want to make it automount without password...I can store my backrounds, music, sounds, etc, and use them for the KDE system and my windows system, without duplicating them...

I hope that makes sense.

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Yes, that's clear. As it's an internal drive, and formated as ntfs, Intrepid Ibex should have installed the package ntfs-3g. Open Adept Manager or Synaptic if you have it installed, and search for it. If it is not installed (unlikely), mark it and install.

As it's an internal HD, it should also have been included in your fstab. Hmm. Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo fdisk -l
        (that's a lower case L)
        Copy/paste the output in your reply.

While still in the console, type:
        Code:
        cat /etc/fstab
        Copy/paste the output in your reply.

With this information we can help you with getting it setup in fstab so that it will be mounted and available when you boot your system.

Comment

ok...here ya go...thanks!
          Code:
          steven@junior:~$ sudo fdisk -l
          [sudo] password for steven:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
          Disk identifier: 0x00000080

Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
          /dev/sda1  *      1    12158  97659103+ 83 Linux
          /dev/sda2      12159    19457  58629217+  5 Extended
          /dev/sda5      12159    13587  11478411  83 Linux
          /dev/sda6      13588    13617   240943+ 83 Linux
          /dev/sda7      13618    14590   7815591  82 Linux swap / Solaris
          /dev/sda8      14591    19457  39094146  83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
          Disk identifier: 0x017541c1

Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
          /dev/sdb1        1      6    48163+ de Dell Utility
          /dev/sdb2        7    19458  156239872  7 HPFS/NTFS
          and
          Code:
          steven@junior:~$ cat /etc/fstab
          # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
          proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
          # /dev/sda5
          UUID=21f41960-821b-4256-86ec-af526f36766c /        jfs   relatime,errors=remount-ro 0    1
          # /dev/sda6
          UUID=0444413f-8bbe-4bb6-bd32-1e7f01242358 /boot      ext3  relatime    0    2
          # /dev/sda8
          UUID=7d0b1e5e-ef9a-4bdb-b68f-86692aa1c7c3 /home      jfs   relatime    0    2
          # /dev/sda7
          UUID=2fad276b-ca46-e793-489b-1e71c7e31911 none      swap  sw       0    0
          /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0
          ntfs-3g is installed, because I can access the drive...why it's not in fstab, I have no idea...unless I'm blind...which is always a possibility!

mm0

Comment

Open a console. Navigate to the /media directory and then type:
            Code:
            sudo mkdir NTFS
            This is necessary, as we are creating a mount point for the entry we are going to add to your fstab file. While in the console, navigate to /etc and then edit (as root) the fstab file and add the following:
            /dev/sdb2 /media/NTFS ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
            Another approach would to install the package ntfs-config. After it's installed, open a console and type:
            Code:
            sudo ntfs-config
            ntfs-config

Enable/disable write support for any NTFS devices

This program allow you to easily configure all of your NTFS devices
            to allow write support via a friendly gui.

For that use, it will configure them to use the open source ntfs-3g
            driver. You'll also be able to easily disable this feature.
            After the fstab file has been modified, you will need to reboot, or from a console, type:
            Code:
            sudo mount -a

Comment

Excellent! It now mounts during boot, and works perfectly!
              mm0

Comment

Music to my ears.

Comment

Re: [Solved]Can I mount a NTFS drive with no password in 8.10?

I've go the exact same problem, and like muzicman0 the drive now mounts after writing the line into fstab.

However, I am pointing my Kubuntu Firefox and Thunderbird to use the profiles installed on the NTFS drive so that the profiles are shared with my WinXP. This has always worked perfectly in 8.04, but it is not working now. There seems to be some kind of permission problem, with FF and TB giving an error when starting them in Kubuntu. The only way around it so far, is to not automount the NTFS drive, open dolphin, and typing in my su password to mount it (as described by muzicman0 above). then it works perfectly.

I have also tried to edit the fstab entry for the NTFS drive with
                  Code:
                  users,umask=0000,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid
                  and such like, but to no avail.

I've used this setup for quite a few years now, but I can't get it to work smoothly in 8.10

Please help.

I've also posted this question here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...17#post6112817

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Open a console. Navigate to the /media directory and then type:
                    Code:
                    sudo mkdir NTFS
                    This is necessary, as we are creating a mount point for the entry we are going to add to your fstab file. While in the console, navigate to /etc and then edit (as root) the fstab file and add the following:
                    /dev/sdb2 /media/NTFS ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
                    Another approach would to install the package ntfs-config. After it's installed, open a console and type:
                    Code:
                    sudo ntfs-config
                    ntfs-config

Enable/disable write support for any NTFS devices

This program allow you to easily configure all of your NTFS devices
                    to allow write support via a friendly gui.

For that use, it will configure them to use the open source ntfs-3g
                    driver. You'll also be able to easily disable this feature.
                    After the fstab file has been modified, you will need to reboot, or from a console, type:
                    Code:
                    sudo mount -a
                    Hi there, I tried this method to mount a backup drive (NTFS, internal) but when I ran the konsole command you provided I got a permission denied error as root, which I didn't even think was possible.

Any ideas?

Comment

Re: [Solved]Can I mount a NTFS drive with no password in 8.10?

Solved my problem.......man, do I feel stupid

After creating the mountpoint and writing the appropriate line into fstab (after which auto-mounting worked) I then forgot to tell my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles to point to the newly created /media/sda1 (or in my case /media/winxp) mount point..... it was sill pointing to /media/disk (and thus needed the root pw).

Comment

Working...
                      X