This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok error: "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers."

Amarok was working fine, but now every time I start it up I get an error dialog stating:
    Code:
    xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers.
    and nothing will play. What happened?! I didn't change anything.

Re: Amarok error: "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers."

Yep, I remember that happening here a week or two ago. Funny thing was, I could open alsaplayer and play my music!

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098421.0

I'm thinking I just re-installed all the alsa-related packages and ran updates, and it more or less fixed itself. These would be:

alsa-base
    alsamixergui
    alsa-oss
    alsaplayer-alsa
    alsaplayer-common
    alsaplayer-gtk
    alsa-tools
    alsa-tools-gui
    alsa-utils

and of course make sure you have libxine1 and libxine1-ffmpeg and libexine1-misc-plugins installed.

Do you have the Medibuntu repo enabled -- did you get the media codecs packages?

Comment

Yes, I just added the Medibuntu repository. Which media codecs packages do I need? I thought Amarok got them installed, at least for mp3. The first time I tried to play an .mp3 with Amarok, it said it needed to install codecs or something like that, so I did.

The weird thing is that now that I've restarted, I can play mp3's again. Scratch that - now it doesn't work again. I didn't do anything to make that happen, it's just sort of breaking and un-breaking itself randomly.

Must be time for another restart. Bah.

Comment

It's even worse than I thought.  Apparently, multiple sound-using apps do NOT get along in Kubuntu 8.10.

Amarok isn't happy if I have Teamspeak 2 running, and Urban Terror (or other games) don't get along with them either. 

If I run Amarok, and then run Teamspeak, I am muted in Teamspeak and can't unmute myself (either microphone or output of that app).  If I run Teamspeak first, it works, but then I run a game, for instance Urban Terror, and I get no sound from the game.

The other way round is broken, too.  If I run Urban Terror first, it plays sound, but if I then run Teamspeak, it won't play sound or take input from the microphone (muted, and can't be unmuted).

Also, if I have Teamspeak running first, Amarok gives the "xine is unable to initialize blah blah" error and I can't play music.

I have no idea where to start fixing this.  It appears Teamspeak is a very ill-behaved app, to the point that you wonder why they bothered making a Linux version. It's totally useless if you can't have both it, and a game, running at the same time. Defeats the whole purpose.

Comment

Well I have a similar problem, after downloading 8.10 last weekend. I get the same "Xine was.." message. I installed ALSA. Still get the same message with AMAROK. Although I can now play the MP3 file with ALSo. Well actually, the MP3 file I'm trying to play shows up in the ALSO window, the slide bar moves, but no sound.

Unrelated? Neither my DVD or CD drive can play music or read a file. First time I try them since the download of 8.10.

Thanks Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Objekt

Yes, I just added the Medibuntu repository. Which media codecs packages do I need?
            w32codecs (if your system is 32-bit)
            w64codecs (if your system is 64-bit)

in addition to the ones I listed above which are not from Medibuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by gary@web.ca
              Well I have a similar problem, after downloading 8.10 last weekend. I get the same "Xine was.." message. I installed ALSA. Still get the same message with AMAROK. Although I can now play the MP3 file with ALSo. Well actually, the MP3 file I'm trying to play shows up in the ALSO window, the slide bar moves, but no sound.

Unrelated? Neither my DVD or CD drive can play music or read a file. First time I try them since the download of 8.10.

Thanks Gary
              For some reason, the output channel was muted by default when I installed Kubuntu 8.10. I fixed it at the command line by running "sudo alsamixer" (the sudo may not be strictly necessary, but it ensures that what you do will "take"). This gives you a graphical depiction of the available sound settings and their levels. Use the arrow keys to get over to the output channel. You will probably find it is turned all the way down. Turn it up and you should get sound.

Comment

I tried that and got this:

sudo alsamixer
                ALSA lib pulse.c:272pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused

Got any advice?

Comment

I tried to get libexine1-misc-plugins as referred to in an earlier post in this thread.

and received this error.

sudo apt-get install libexine1-misc-plugins
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  E: Couldn't find package libexine1-misc-plugins

Could it have anything to do with the xine problem? Maybe a typo somewhere?

Comment

It is a typo. You typed libexine1-misc-plugins when it should be libxine1-misc-plugins.

Comment

thanks!

I got it but still no xine.

Comment

I'm working on a brand new laptop, trying to configure the sound with NO SUCCESS. Do you think I'd have more luck with 8.04? Or would it be a waste of time for me to even try that?

Comment

I answered my own question by ditching 8.10 for 8.04. Still no sound. >

I don't have tv and I got this fancy laptop to watch dvds and hulu and youtube on and I can't.

I really don't like xubuntu or ubuntu but it's looking like I'm going to have to abandon the KDE world so for sound. Perhaps I'll load Windows XP Pro...I'm very, very disappointed.

Comment

I think you're being a bit hasty abandoning 8.10 and Kubuntu. Can you be more specific what errors you are receiving and when?

Ubuntu is a bit weird with sound because there are so many possible ways to set it up. I'm guessing your installation of xine is incomplete somehow, though I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by baldsue
                              I'm working on a brand new laptop, trying to configure the sound with NO SUCCESS.
                              When you were following this guidance:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

where did you get stuck?

Comment

Working...
                              X