This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okular defaults to A4 paper for printing

Whenever I load up a PDF, it wants to print to A4, instead of Letter size paper, which gives my printer fits...is there a way to change the default? I haven't found one...thanks!
    mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Re: Okular defaults to A4 paper for printing

Hi. I got sooo frustrated trying to get this simple feature to work that i gave up and installed the 'Document Viewer'.

Hope this helps in some way

Regards Barryg

Comment

Just an update. It appears that Okular doesn't support paper sizes at all for PDF's in it's current state.

http://okular.kde.org/formats.php

Regards Barryg

Comment

This problem goes even deeper. I just tried to print a web page and the same print window as Okular came up, guess what, it only prints out at A4 size. So i guess Okular is not the problem it's the print library.

Hmm, might have to change distro just to print A5
        Regards Barryg

Comment

well, I can manually change my printer settings to 'Letter', after clicking on print, and it prints fine, it's just a pain to remember to chang it everytime, and something that we shouldn't have to do...
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

And with me it is the other way round! I always get this stupid US letter stuff which my printer does not know how to deal with :P

I am talking OpenOffice, Firefox, Okular, you name it - all a right royal pain in the backside.

So I'd be most grateful if one of you could find a way...
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

A thought........... I'm back with Opensuse 11.0 (kde3.5), until the print problem is fixed in KDE4, and i have noticed that when printing out .PDF's the print requestor that pops up prior to printing has a 'Print System Currently Used' option. I don't recall this being available with KDE4 but leaving it at default (Cups), i don't have the A5 paper size option, but if i select 'LPR/LPRng print system' the A5 size is selectable, it also has the option to save A5 selection and prints out at A5.

I wonder if some kind person could check if the 'Print System Currently Used' option is available in the print options requestor. If it does and it has the option to save, then it's something i clearly missed and will re-install Kubuntu KDE4 again.

Regards Barry

Comment

Wow what a bad day i'm having

I re-installed Kubuntu to check on the printing options and they are not there, so basically i can't printout A5 size paper. So moving on.....

I installed Mandriva (KDE4) 2009 and hey presto, i can't print in A5 (it uses the same printing system). I installed Mandriva again but using Gnome, guess what, i can't access my 2nd hard drive with all my documents in, i can see them, but cannot open them > So with Kubuntu 8.10 and Mandriva 2009 using KDE4, i can access my documents on my 2nd drive, but cannot printout in A5, whereas i can print in A5 with Mandriva Gnome, but cannot get at my documents, I can have a good guess that Ubuntu will do the same thing.

Grrrrrrrr

Regards Barry

Comment

Finally found the solution by using CUPS itself:

Go to your browser and enter

http://localhost:631/

Now you can adjust your printer settings by going to the printer tab on the right, select your printer - set printer options.

At some stage you will be asked your username and password - done.

My printer does as it's told - A4 - and I'm a happy bunny.

If it works for you please mark this thread as solved... If not report your difficulties
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'll check it out when I get home tonight...hoping it works...I could manually select the size paper I wanted, but couldn't get it to default that way, so hopefully, this is the same issue! I will be very happy!
                    mm0

Comment

nope...added printer via CUPS, set it to letter, then checked...still defaults to A4...

Then, I thought I found it...there is a system setting in the regions tab that was set to A4 paper...changed it to Letter, but it still wants to default to A4...as far as I can tell, it is only in Okular though...Open Office works like it should.

I even tried to create a new PDF, thinking that maybe it was embedded in the pdf itself (even though I have tried multiple PDF's), nothing seems to work...

mm0

Comment

Well, go into admin mode under cups, select printer, setting printer options

You have to be in admin mode!

Comment

Same here. It always defaults to A4 size. I have even tried adjusting the margins so it prints in A5 size, but it still prints at A4 ignoring what the margins are set at.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                            Well, go into admin mode under cups, select printer, setting printer options

You have to be in admin mode!
                            You mis-understand...the printer is set up correctly...if I view the printer in cups, it shows 'Letter' sized paper as the default...however, as soon as I print a PDF (at least in Okular, haven't tried anything else yet), it goes to A4...again, in ANY other program I try, including OO, it prints correctly...I'm thinking I am going to file a bug report.

mm0

Comment

A question for Toad... Can you print out in any size you set the options at?

Regards

Comment

Working...
                              X