Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Humble opinion on 8.10 (plus some issues)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Humble opinion on 8.10 (plus some issues)

Originally posted by BagEndTook
    I remember the days when I could install several desktop interfaces and select the one I wanted on login.
    I also remember distributions dropping official support for KDE1 in KDE2 at points in time.

Distributions are migrating to KDE4, and although kubuntu is among the first to drop official support for KDE3, it will happen on other distributions. This doesn't stop you from using KDE3 as long as KDE developers continue to support (and even beyond).

No one is forcing you to use Kubuntu, 8.10, or KDE4, but distributions are entitled to make decisions on what software they officially support, based on available resources. There are always other (just as good) distributions if you still want official support for KDE3. Or there are ways to install KDE3 on Ibex (although I would recommend choosing another distribution over installing unofficial KDE3 on kubuntu, there is always a possibility that 'unofficial' software will conflict with 'official' upgrades).

KDE4 was never necessary
    According to whom? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and there are some that would probably agree with you, but also a number that would disagree (including the people that should know the limitations of KDE3 best - KDE developers). There were opinions floating around that KDE2 wasn't necessary...and to a lesser extent, that KDE3 wasn't necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by suplero
      Where is KPDF?
      Try Okular (it's the new viewer for KDE4)

Comment

Well, there are so much posts stating that KDE4.1 is not ready for real usage. I agree, it is too raw to be usable. Personally I do not use KDE after upgrading to 8.10, I installed gnome-desktop and it is quite good for me. And I still use KDE apps on gnome.

What else I can do if I need newest KDE apps? Developers of KDE and KDE apps switched to KDE4/QT4 and I must switch to this awful KDE4 line too. It's not a mistake of Kubuntu team, it is KDE. So if someone has to say something about, post your comments of http://forum.kde.org/ - they just launched it and everyone can say what he/she thinks about right there.

We can just flood the KDE forum with bad opinions... Will this fact change something? I guess it will because there are a lot of people who is deeply annoyed by current sorrowful and miserable condition of KDE and KDE developers ought to hear users.

Comment

Originally posted by suplero
          I agree that 8.10 is a bit more "beta" than I thought it would be. With KDE4 being out for a whole release now, I was hoping it would be a bit more usable than it is.
          So could I think that you have a "wrong" hope?

I think that most of ubuntu versions are "beta" versions, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 all of them are "beta" versions, only 8.04, 10.4 will be the final released version. Now the 8.04 with KDE 3.5.10 is there if we want a stable version, just stick with 8.04+KDE3.5.10, and the next LTS version, Kubuntu 10.04 will be a stable and feature-full version of KDE4, I'm quite confident it will be.

If you want to try the shiny new things, 8.10 is the way to go. Anybody want a stable production system should just keep use the 8.04, (IMHO, though Kubuntu 8.04 is not labeled with LTS, it actually deserves the LTS label.)

Yes 8.10 is not a perfect version, but what do you expect? all versions of ubuntu x.10 is designed to introduce more experiments than to provide a enterprise level production desktop. And now 8.10 acts just as it was designed to be.

I think Kubuntu 8.10 is much better than I have thought it to be, though I will not use any system at the current stage.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbelt_jones
            Anyone interested in KDE3 in Intrepid can try this unofficial repository

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

After some initial problems with KDM login, I 'm having a great experience running KDE 3.5.10 applications on intrepid. I'm not sure if KDE3 and KDE4 will play together nicely. I started with a Gnome-based Intrepid Ipex install. You may want to use synaptic to purge all signs of KDE4 before installing KDE3. When doubt, contact the repository administrator.
            I tried this, as i greatly prefer KDE 3, so i added the address to sources.list, told Adept to fetch them, clicked "Upgrade", and found that many programs were going to be completely removed, Quanta Plus among them, if i told it not to upgrade Quanta, it was <broken> in any case.

With all due respect to mad scientist(?), i will pass on that one.

KDE 3 is now in "maintanance mode". It's KDE's policy to support KDE3 with bugfixes and security updates as long as it's in circulation, and it's going to be in circulation for years at the very least. If people keep using it, it will continue to be supported. There won't be a lot of new features, if any, but the KDE3 we know will almost certainly remain secure and viable well into the next decade.
            You're right, it will be in circulation for years at the very least.

To be honest, i'm happy to stick with it, KDE 3 plays my music, video, films and games, i use it for 'work', if i need to run Windows applications on it i have Crossover and Wine, KDE 3 is fast, rock-steady, intuitive, simple to use, easy on the eye (but can be tweaked to choice), what else need an OS do or be?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Forced? That's a bit strong. The Kubuntu developers made it very clear that Intrepid Ibex (8.10) was going to use KDE 4 exclusively.
              Is it really strong? My experience with KDE4 is Kubuntu 8.04 informing me there was a new version and hounding me to upgrade, which I did and lost my 3.5. A new KDE is not such a bad thing in and of itself, but I'm one of those who prefer less 'fluff' in the interest of running my hardware at its fullest potential. KDE4 adds way too much Microsoft-copying features that I never wanted in the same way that Vista did. I neither need nor want a 3D desktop, and the interface needs a huge refinement. It still feels like a beta rather than a final release. How about the ability to turn some of this junk off?

I'm looking for something else. Just because there are video cards that can handle a Mars expedition, does not mean that we should be required to have one simply to run an OS. That's one of the reasons that Linux is so attractive in the first place. Call me a minimalist if you must, but this could well be the last version of Kubuntu that I run, whether KDE3 is supported by developers or not.

Comment

Originally posted by pansz
                So could I think that you have a "wrong" hope?
                Absolutely.

I also think the definition of "beta" can change from person to person.

Isn't the main point of forums to bring to light things that can be improved upon? As with many things, telling about what works is often overlooked [maybe for good reasons?]. Telling what doesn't work is the way to fix things.

I wasn't trying to give the impression that 8.10 is bad, just that I thought there were things that were removed or didn't work that I expected to be sorted out by the final release. But everyone has their own view of what is important and needs to be fixed to meet a deadline.

With KDE4 as a whole still in the development stages, I do expect some problems, but not knowing what the pace is for changes, I just want to give my feedback.

For me, 8.10 is much better than 8.04 with KDE4, and I will stick with it, but I hope at some point everything gets sorted out.

Comment

Have a look here:
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I just gave up and went back to 8.04. I need some things like Parallels (which 8.10 removed completely, and it will not run with 8.10).

Does anyone remember the USS Intrepid? It finally earned the nickname of "the USS Decrepid". I hope that is not the fate of my favorite Linux distribution.

Comment

Is it really strong? My experience with KDE4 is Kubuntu 8.04 informing me there was a new version and hounding me to upgrade, which I did and lost my 3.5. A new KDE is not such a bad thing in and of itself, but I'm one of those who prefer less 'fluff' in the interest of running my hardware at its fullest potential.
                      This really seems to be a *bug*, by default, versions like 6.06 and 8.04 are special and they will *not* prompt for distribution upgrade, it should only prompt you upgrade to 10.04.

I'm sorry to hear you have a broken system after that, but that definitely is not the intended behavior. Try to reinstall Kubuntu 8.04.1 into your system and you may like it.

Comment

A new KDE is not such a bad thing in and of itself, but I'm one of those who prefer less 'fluff' in the interest of running my hardware at its fullest potential. KDE4 adds way too much Microsoft-copying features that I never wanted in the same way that Vista did. I neither need nor want a 3D desktop, and the interface needs a huge refinement. It still feels like a beta rather than a final release. How about the ability to turn some of this junk off?
                        You can turn the 3D effects off if you like, and there are different plasma themes available (and more to come), some of which are very 'plain' looking. So you can run a very KDE3 like desktop (as far as eye candy goes) if you prefer if that way.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01

I don't like the fact that it is not so easy to align icons but I think that the powers that be prefer you not to do that. Apart from that I love the new look and so do many others.
                          I agree I could live without the EyeCandy for a more functional Desktop.
                          BUT I must say I don't mind it much either.

Next to not having any system sounds which also holds true in Intrepid Ubuntu/Gnome Desktop.

The MAIN Thing I don't like is not being able to Arrange your Icons the way you like in the Kicker, It just puts them to the right and that's it.
                          And the fact you can add another bar to the TOP of your screen BUT can't put anything on it, don't make a whole lot of since to me

But all in all for a New work I don't think it's to Shabby...
                          I &quot;NEVER&quot; Discuss 3 things.<br />Religion, Politics, and the Great Pumpkin.<br />Linus from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Comment

The MAIN Thing I don't like is not being able to Arrange your Icons the way you like in the Kicker, It just puts them to the right and that's it.
                            And the fact you can add another bar to the TOP of your screen BUT can't put anything on it, don't make a whole lot of since to me
                            I really do not know what you are talking about.
                            - you can arrange icons any way you want: rightclick on panel unlock widgets->panel options->mouve your mouse over any icon .>click when the cross appears move. Period

-Cannot add apps to the top / side panel: Add the kickoff widget to the panel you want to populate. app apps with rightclick on app->add to panel-
                            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                              Anyone interested in KDE3 in Intrepid can try this unofficial repository

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

After some initial problems with KDM login, I 'm having a great experience running KDE 3.5.10 applications on intrepid. I'm not sure if KDE3 and KDE4 will play together nicely. I started with a Gnome-based Intrepid Ipex install. You may want to use synaptic to purge all signs of KDE4 before installing KDE3. When doubt, contact the repository administrator.
                              I tried this, as i greatly prefer KDE 3, so i added the address to sources.list, told Adept to fetch them, clicked "Upgrade", and found that many programs were going to be completely removed, Quanta Plus among them, if i told it not to upgrade Quanta, it was <broken> in any case.

With all due respect to mad scientist(?), i will pass on that one.

KDE 3 is now in "maintanance mode". It's KDE's policy to support KDE3 with bugfixes and security updates as long as it's in circulation, and it's going to be in circulation for years at the very least. If people keep using it, it will continue to be supported. There won't be a lot of new features, if any, but the KDE3 we know will almost certainly remain secure and viable well into the next decade.
                              You're right, it will be in circulation for years at the very least.

To be honest, i'm happy to stick with it, KDE 3 plays my music, video, films and games, i use it for 'work', if i need to run Windows applications on it i have Crossover and Wine, KDE 3 is fast, rock-steady, intuitive, simple to use, easy on the eye (but can be tweaked to choice), what else need an OS do or be?
                              The quote isn't from me, it's from KDE developer Aaron Siego.

Comment

Working...
                              X