This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did system services go?

Hmmm... just noticed I have no icon in system settings, nor under Applications|Settings, that will allow me to modify the startup/runlevel for non-KDE services.

Am I the only one missing this?
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Re: Where did system services go?

I don't see one.

But, being in the System Settings, I just played for the first time with the new Grub editor -- GAWD how much easier that is! The last time I set up a grub splash image it took an hour to get through the recipe, now it's 10 seconds if you have the correctly-formatted images laying about.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      I don't see one.

But, being in the System Settings, I just played for the first time with the new Grub editor -- GAWD how much easier that is! The last time I set up a grub splash image it took an hour to get through the recipe, now it's 10 seconds if you have the correctly-formatted images laying about.
      Grub editor is a nice feature. And no need for third party installation scripts for video card (still cannot believe same time last year to have 3D working in a reasonably modern card you needed Envy) or wireless. I believe Kubuntu has matured to a level you can work exclusively without CLI.

Comment

That's true, but at the same time where we go 2 steps forward we go 1 step back, see the initial posting here (I'm missing that, too. NO! I DON'T HAVE BLUETOOTH, STOP STARTING IT!)

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          That's true, but at the same time where we go 2 steps forward we go 1 step back, see the initial posting here (I'm missing that, too. NO! I DON'T HAVE BLUETOOTH, STOP STARTING IT!)
          /agrees with squirrel.

I find it odd that such a basic thing should be missing. Sure, *I* know how to make the changes from a command prompt... but new users wouldn't have a clue. And, again as squirrel said, this is a step backward: we used to have this functionality. I wasted a lot of time looking for it this morning, thinking it must have been moved to some "new and more intuitive" place that I couldn't fathom.

Oh well, guess I'll just go play in the /etc/rc* directories and hope this gets added sometime soon.
          Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Agreed.

However, KDE 3.5.9 was the product of what -- 5 years of development? And KDE 4.x is now a scant six months old? So, prolly a fair minded thing would be to re-visit the new version in January and see if 4.2 is adding these missing features at a respectable rate.

Not that they couldn't have figured out a way to keep the old version of the feature patched in for a few months .... :P

Comment

Originally posted by assettt
              I don't see one.

Grub editor is a nice feature. And no need for third party installation scripts for video card (still cannot believe same time last year to have 3D working in a reasonably modern card you needed Envy) or wireless. I believe Kubuntu has matured to a level you can work exclusively without CLI.
              Are you looking for "Service Manager" on the system settings advanced tab?
              BTW I think the GRUB editor is cool. So easy now

Comment

Agreed.

However, KDE 3.5.9 was the product of what -- 5 years of development? And KDE 4.x is now a scant six months old? So, prolly a fair minded thing would be to re-visit the new version in January and see if 4.2 is adding these missing features at a respectable rate.

Not that they couldn't have figured out a way to keep the old version of the feature patched in for a few months .... :P
                While we are talking about missing modules in system settings (the advanced part), isn't it true that there used to be some module for managing partitions and mount points as well, or was I smoking my pot plant...? I have checked I have parted installed and running and of course good old fdisk does the trick as well, but I was sure there used to be a disc partition management tool in the advanced section. And of course there was the network configuration tool (not to be confused with the network settings tool which is still in the normal, not advanced section).... Maybe the network management module is absent because of the problems with the network configuration app?

l8r

Comment

Originally posted by fermier
                  While we are talking about missing modules in system settings (the advanced part), isn't it true that there used to be some module for managing partitions and mount points as well, or was I smoking my pot plant...?
                  It's under System Settings ->Advanced ->Disk & File Systems.

.... perhaps you were smoking mine..

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                    Originally posted by fermier
                    While we are talking about missing modules in system settings (the advanced part), isn't it true that there used to be some module for managing partitions and mount points as well, or was I smoking my pot plant...?
                    It's under System Settings ->Advanced ->Disk & File Systems.

.... perhaps you were smoking mine..

This is very interesting indeed. I am looking at that tab right now and I do not have Disk & File Systems!!!! It is not there!!! And I have not touched my plant in over a week!!! Promise!!! Dear me what could have gone wrong and where has it gone wrong!!!!?

Comment

I apologise for causing any confusion, But it's true that " ... there used to be some module for managing partitions and mount points as well, ... ", and that is what i was referring to.... in KDE 3.

p.s.
                      I've no idea what went wrong with your plant.... did you over-water it?

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                        I apologise for causing any confusion, But it's true that " ... there used to be some module for managing partitions and mount points as well, ... ", and that is what i was referring to.... in KDE 3.

p.s.
                        I've no idea what went wrong with your plant.... did you over-water it?
                        Uffff!!! What a relief!!! I was seriously considering checking into an old-age home.... finally! Thanks, so I deduce from your answer that you no longer have this module either under II?

ps. Thanks for reminding me! I do need to go and water the plant... its about a week ago since it had any....

Comment

That "Disks & Filesystems" utility caused more problems that it ever solved for me. I learned quickly to leave that one and "Monitor & Display" strictly alone. :P

In the Konsole, the commands "fdisk -lu" and "blkid", plus "df -h" and "du" (with options) will tell you everything you normally need to know, and the "mount" command with its options will let you control the mounting of your filesystems.

And of course a GParted Live CD is what you need if you're going to make serious changes in partitions and filesystem formats.

Comment

Originally posted by theducks
                            Are you looking for "Service Manager" on the system settings advanced tab?
                            No - that only includes about seven KDE services. There are over 50 (on my system) system services in /etc/rc2.d that it gives you no control over.

Comment

Working...
                            X