This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irritating Flicker

Recently I've noticed an irritating screen flicker roughly every 10 seconds, I have an ATI Radeon GPU and an LG LCD monitor. Has anybody else encountered this problem?

Re: Irritating Flicker

Oh well, it must be just me then. I will further add that I have a dual boot with Windose XP and that works fine, so it's not the hardware.

Comment

I can help you with this. I had that too until I installed the restricted ATI driver.

Comment

I had the same problem and I solved it as squirrel, no more flicker with restricted drivers (nvidia)

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          I can help you with this. I had that too until I installed the restricted ATI driver.
          I used EnvyNG to download the recommended driver and it completely screwed my desktop.

Comment

Why did you do this?

KMenu> Applications> System > Hardware Drivers

And just activate it.

Comment

I noticed this happening on my Toshiba S1135 (Intel CPU and GFX chipset).
              It does not start right away, but after a while it starts "winking" and a little bit later it all of a sudden goes to the log on screen.

I set "Guidance Power Manager 4.1.1" (installed by distro), to :
              NOT lock the screen
              Mains powered is set (60 greyed out) Do Nothing <running on Mains :-)
              When Battery remaining drops below 5 Min, Hibernate (Got to test this, had a 2,25 Hour power outage this AM)
              When System is Idle (10 min greyed out) Do nothing
              Lid Closes, Do Nothing
              At first I thought it was a silent crash, but the Wink could have been a "Silent bell".

Any other places I should check?
              BTW 8.04 did not do this during the short time I was using it.
              UPDATE:
              My flicker is a really a "wink" and maybe a repaint of the open window? Something flickers BELOW the lower edge if the standard task panel when this happens.
              This starts about 30 minutes into the log-on session. I was currently using a browser window (FF3 or Konqueror) with a Mouse and Keyboard.
              The annoying winks continue for 10 or so minutes and then all of a sudden the desk closes and I am back at the KDE 4.1 Logon Screen .

Comment

Why did you do this?

And just activate it.
                When I tried that there were no drivers found, which is why I used Envy.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
                  Why did you do this?

And just activate it.
                  When I tried that there were no drivers found, which is why I used Envy.
                  Oh, I'm sorry about that. Then I can't help you, I'm afraid.

Comment

I also have an ATI board, and i used Synaptic to install the ati-fglrx drivers.

There were three packages, but i can't tell you at the moment what they were as i'm in Hardy.

It cured all the resolution/re-boot problems i had, but whether this would help in your case, i really don't know.

Edited to add:
                    Well, over here on Intrepid i find that i installed the xserver-xorg-video-ati, xserver-xorg-video-radeon, and xorg-driver-fglrx files, no Envy at all.

Comment

I had this too, I did:

system settings > advanced > service manager > uncheck 'detecting randr changes'

Comment

Yup, I can confirm that both installing the driver AND disabling monitor changes service fixes it.

Comment

Working...
                        X