X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invisible panel causing me problems

Hey folks,

Have to say on the whole I'm really enjoying my time with KDE 4.1.2 it might not be perfect yet but it is a nice place to be! I've caused a problem that isn't major but is causing me some stress to sort out.

One of the first things I did after migrating from KDE 3.5 was to mess around with the panel on the bottom of my screen. Unfortunately, I did something that caused it to resize to zero or disappear or something. This has caused me a problem by only allowing me to create new panels that are attached to the top of the screen (not my prefered position). I can't move any new panels. I thought the best thing would be to rename .kde directory and let KDE create new settings for me; but no! If I do this and log back in and I have a blank panel at the top of my screen (unmovable) and a bunch of new invisible widgets created on said invisible panel. This is definitely not what I'm after.

So my question is what should I do next to reset or delete all the panels on my desktop so that I can start again? Thanks in advance.

Bill

Re: Invisible panel causing me problems

How did you 'migrate'?... did you go for an up-grade of 3.5.10 (dist-up-grade), or re-install?

If you up-graded, were you running the KDE 4 desktop alongside the 3.5.10?

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I migrated from 3.5.10 but I wasn't running KDE4 alongside 3.5.10 at the time.

Comment

When you rename .kde you have to be either: on a live cd or a different linux installation.

You cannot do that with an effect while logged in as the user where that particular .kde resides.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Oh really??

Did not know that at all. I suppose I could see why that might be the case. Should I go for it and remove the entire .kde directory (losing all my settings) or is there a settings file just for plasma? I see "plasmarc" and "plasma-appletsrc" lurking in ~/.kde/share/config. Also will logging in as root using the recovery console suffice instead of the live cd? (I think is will as I won't be logged into my account)

Thanks very much for the tip

Comment

It sounds like you have just removed the panel, when you add a panel it always defaults to the top of the screen. I you left click on any empty part of the panel adjustment bar (the part that has alignment add remove etc) you will get a 4 arrow cursor, you can the drag the panel to any side of the screen.

Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Ok. I have the missing panel! I renamed the config files "plasmarc" and "plasma-appletsrc" KDE created new config files when I logged on. All is not perfect though. I can't move panels the way sjhstorm described I don't get the 4 arrow cursor. I've also lost a few settings - like my diary entries from Kontact and my favourite applications list. No idea why these have been affected. I have all the original settings saved so I might try and add the new plasma config files to my old settings directory and see if I get the best of both from there.

Comment

Originally posted by NumericalMethods
                Ok. I have the missing panel! I renamed the config files "plasmarc" and "plasma-appletsrc" KDE created new config files when I logged on. All is not perfect though. I can't move panels the way sjhstorm described I don't get the 4 arrow cursor. I've also lost a few settings - like my diary entries from Kontact and my favourite applications list. No idea why these have been affected. I have all the original settings saved so I might try and add the new plasma config files to my old settings directory and see if I get the best of both from there.
                If you want to get your panel back then the easiest way is to issue the command rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* from Konsole and reboot. I have had to do this several times when using Intrepid Ibex Beta and it always works.

Comment

@ tomp01

Does this mean that you can move panels across to different positions on the screen after you have reset the config files? I have seen a demo video of plasma on youtube and mine definitely isn't working quite the same as that. I'm going to have a further investigation tomorrow as I think there is something more to this than just the config files. Thanks for the help so far

Comment

Originally posted by NumericalMethods
                    @ tomp01

Does this mean that you can move panels across to different positions on the screen after you have reset the config files? I have seen a demo video of plasma on youtube and mine definitely isn't working quite the same as that. I'm going to have a further investigation tomorrow as I think there is something more to this than just the config files. Thanks for the help so far
                    It restores everything back to a newly installed state, Plasma would break on a regular basis so the only way to get back was to use Alt-F2 to get the run command bar to run Konsole.

Comment

Working...
                    X