Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-Desktop handling (Per-Desktop Widgets? Change desktop on scroll?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-Desktop handling (Per-Desktop Widgets? Change desktop on scroll?)

One of the things keeping me unenthusiastic about widgets, despite the large potential, is that although I like to run multiple virtual desktops (4 at least, sometimes more depending on the computer and/or what I'm doing on it) I cannot for the life of me figure out how I would tell specific widgets to only be on certain desktops.

The other conflict between my many-desktop ways and KDE4 is that I've traditionally just used the scrollwheel on the desktop to switch virtual desktops (and I don't even just mean in KDE, hell even OpenBox does it!), but again I cannot seem to find any way to set it to do that.

If anyone could help with either or both of those issues, that'd be excellent (and it'd be two more things crossed off my long-but-shrinking list of usability issues with KDE4).

Re: Multi-Desktop handling (Per-Desktop Widgets? Change desktop on scroll?)

Originally posted by KeithZG
    One of the things keeping me unenthusiastic about widgets, despite the large potential, is that although I like to run multiple virtual desktops (4 at least, sometimes more depending on the computer and/or what I'm doing on it) I cannot for the life of me figure out how I would tell specific widgets to only be on certain desktops.
    In KDE 4.2, you can set different activities (new KDE4 term) with different widget sets that you can switch with an applet. There are also plans to enable setting different activities to virtual desktops, which essentially would bring the possibility of different widget sets (and wallpaper) to virtual desktops. It is uncertain whether that can be implemented before the feature freeze, but it's going to be added eventually, I'm sure.

The other conflict between my many-desktop ways and KDE4 is that I've traditionally just used the scrollwheel on the desktop to switch virtual desktops (and I don't even just mean in KDE, hell even OpenBox does it!), but again I cannot seem to find any way to set it to do that.
    I'm used to that myself, and I'm hoping the feature will be reimplemented down the road.

Comment

I'm used to that myself, and I'm hoping the feature will be reimplemented down the road.
      Follow-up: This feature seems to be back in KDE 4.2 (tested on kde-nightly)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        Follow-up: This feature seems to be back in KDE 4.2 (tested on kde-nightly)
        I just noticed it myself (I got my hands on an old Athlon 2000+ with a GeForce 5600 for $10 from a pawn shop, and I don't know who I'm going to give it away to but the first thing I did was install the latest Kubuntu and 4.2 packages, heh).

It also (running buildsyscoca4 and plasma through an SSH session onto my 64-bit 8.04/KDE3.5 machine) seems to handle multiple monitors a hell of a lot better now too, and hell that's even over SSH X-forwarding. Things'd be looking up for my eventual upgrade if 'tweren't for my install's new inability to process kernel updates but that's a question for another day, obviously. It's very cool to see KDE coming along, 4.2 has seriously impressed me so far.

Comment

Working...
        X