This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading from 8.04

I have Kubuntu 8.04 kde3.5.10 and in just over a week adept will tell me that there is a new Kubuntu available do i wish to upgrade. My question is if i agree what happens to my kde3? all my programs that are built for kde3?
    Can i keep KDE3?
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Re: Upgrading from 8.04

No-one is forcing you to up-grade.... you can safely ignore it if you wish.

Comment

Oh i know that but i do like to have the best and latest, just would like to know what will happen to kde3
      Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

Well, it will not tell you that there is a new kubuntu available unless you tell it to do so.

The secret to it all is hidden in your repositories which you can adjust in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

As long as all your repositories point to hardy you will not be asked/cannot upgrade. Only if you were mad/adventurous enough to change all instances of hardy to intrepid in that file and then do a
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        followed by a
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install dist-upgrade
        would your system dream of upgrading.

All up to you
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks Toad, but as far as i remember i was asked the last two times did i want to upgrade, think cause i have recomened updates in the repos ( which is there by default i think ).
          Anyway, my question still is unanswered,

Will an upgrade to Kubuntu8.10 remove my KDE3? if not do i have a dual Desktops of KDE4/3?

Comment

There is no KDE 3 desktop in Intrepid, it's KDE 4, and so i assume that 3.5.10 apps will be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
              There is no KDE 3 desktop in Intrepid, it's KDE 4, and so i assume that 3.5.10 apps will be replaced.

Quite right.

Comment

Thank you think i will do a fresh install when im ready to switch over.

Comment

Originally posted by natman2007
                  That would be a much safer bet than an upgrade.... in my experience.

The last time i tried to upgrade, it broke the install, so i ended up re-installing in any case.

Comment

There's a noticeable difference between KDE 3 and KDE 4.

One way to make a decision is to dual boot Hardy and Intrepid. Use Hardy as you are used to it, try Intrepid and get to know KDE4 and discover the differences. There will probably be more updates as improvements are made by users. Hardy is LTS so there's no problem keeping it for a few years. Intrepid will only improve too.

Once you're comfortable with KDE 4 and want to run that, then you can use something else on the other part of your disk that has Hardy.
                    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Originally posted by natman2007
                      I installed KDE 3 over Intrepid, works fine but the installing is a little bit complicated
                      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=960742
                      -------------<br />dentaku65<br />http://yep.it

Comment

Working...
                      X