This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My test of 8.10

I hear you and agree to the extent of the fact that not all is ready for you. So be it. I am not going back to kde3 but then again that is for me

Kde3.5.20 will be around for a long while and no one is forcing kde4 on the masses. Anyone who has spent some time on kde4 knows that it is not finished yet and wants the feedback from users who are willing to learn and give feedback.

That said you can always go completely on the edge and install this next to your kde3.5:
    http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/User:Apac..._Neon/KDE/Info

so you will have the best of both worlds.

Enjoy choice while you have it
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

That said you can always go completely on the edge and install this next to your kde3.5:
      http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/User:Apac..._Neon/KDE/Info
      I did it, but since two days Neon kde 4 is broken here
      Code:
      Fetched 15.0MB in 1min3s (236kB/s)
      (Reading database ... 257579 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to replace kde-nightly-kdelibs 20081017+svn872712-0neon1 (using .../kde-nightly-kdelibs_20081022+svn874792-0neon1_i386.deb) ...
      Unpacking replacement kde-nightly-kdelibs ...
      dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-nightly-kdelibs_20081022+svn874792-0neon1_i386.deb (--unpack):
       trying to overwrite `/opt/kde-nightly/share/kde4/apps/cmake/modules/FindPyKDE4.cmake', which is also in package kde-nightly-kdebase
      dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
      Preparing to replace kde-nightly-kdebase 20081017+svn872712-0neon1 (using .../kde-nightly-kdebase_20081021+svn874604-0neon1_i386.deb) ...
      Unpacking replacement kde-nightly-kdebase ...
      dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-nightly-kdebase_20081021+svn874604-0neon1_i386.deb (--unpack):
       trying to overwrite `/opt/kde-nightly/lib/kde4/kded_globalaccel.so', which is also in package kde-nightly-kdelibs
      dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
      Errors were encountered while processing:
       /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-nightly-kdelibs_20081022+svn874792-0neon1_i386.deb
       /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-nightly-kdebase_20081021+svn874604-0neon1_i386.deb
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
      Amarok 2 is ok. On Kubuntu Hardy.
      -------------<br />dentaku65<br />http://yep.it

Comment

Errors were encountered while processing:
        /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-nightly-kdelibs_20081022+svn874792-0neon1_i386.deb
        /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-nightly-kdebase_20081021+svn874604-0neon1_i386.deb
        E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
        Yeah, I saw that just now as well. Will probably be fixed shortly.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

No, let us call it what it is, hubris. I did pick up some nice things about KDE4, but the comment about "the user who wants to work at it" just really sticks in my craw.

I am very confused about what is the LTS for Kubuntu. Can anyone give me an answer? It is an easy answer for Ubuntu.

I really think that KDE 3.5.10 should have been given as an option for those of us who have dist- upgraded a few times now sequentially and have systems that we really like. It just screams LTS to me. Some of our systems are a little long in the tooth, ATA, 500 mb to a 1gb memory, and not dual core. Are we to be relegated to XFCE now?

Some of us might be in a mode that we are comfortable, and aren't "serious" users who want to work at it. Maybe we are dealing with other things right now, maybe the poverty engulfing the US, etc., etc.

I was trolling an anchor (fishing analogy there) running 8.10 with no eye candy turned on. I got very tired of a slender black line flashing across my screen every time I typed or backspaced with my SIS 610 video. From biology teachers I heard described humorously that there are two kinds of biologists. Der lumpers und der splitters. The serious triaging for KDE4 going on presently for bugs yields a lot of lumping various video bugs together.

I went to lenny and Debian, and , yes, the old computer teleported back to a spritelier time and rock solid. And my scripts work. for rsync, aptitude, etc.

I had been thinking, well, install ubuntu server, and then install kde3.5 via numerous applications of aptitide, but blessedly I tried Lenny. I will not look back.

For me, it is getting tiresome the every six month dist-upgrade. It was a rush to bittorrent down the RC, read forums, wait some more hours watching the forums, and then dist-upgrade, getting it done before the deluge of the release. Nice learning about dpkg -configure a, wireless black lists, /etc/stuff, etc. It was a fantastic learning tool for me. But, I am evolving and I don't feel the need to be as aggressive in learning Linux. I am satisfied with where I am. I deeply appreciate Kubuntu for giving me a platform to expand my skills some more. I have really grown to love cli aptitude (hey, why use synaptic when you can write little scripts to update and safe-upgrade for you). I like konsole and do many things with it. For me, the old computer looks like it will be a KDE debian one for a long time.

And for the newer computer, it is hardy backports and I will think about KDE 4.2 when it comes out. I suppose I could do a clean install for JJ. Or when Lenny goes stable, or flip a coin if both occur on the same day.

The 8.10 upgrade to the beta did go much smoother for me than some RC upgrades (and previously I always used cli for the dist-upgrade, but did as told this time). The newer version of aptitude really rocks, autoclean was perfect for removing the massed comings and goings of the upgrades as I participated in my first beta (I have two machines now). You are doing some great things, but KDE4 takes a whole lot more oomph in II the KDE3 did in HH.

BTW, the new net-book remix version appears to me to only be for Ubuntu. A less CPU cycle intensive KDE would imoho be required for a Kubuntu net-book remix. I could be wrong though.

It just feels to me like it is hubris to not give a LTS for KDE 3.5.10 By my reckoning 6.06 was a bit long ago.

peace, still an afficianado of KDE and apt-get - aptitude.
          Mark

Comment

I see what you are saying, and I agree that running the new II with KDE4 is seeming less and less possible on older systems.
            The LTS as far as I know is 8.04 and 8.10 will not receive LTS.
            I almost hate to say it but, it is almost as if Kubuntu II with KDE4 is headed the way of the dreaded Vista.
            Very resource intensive and there seems to be a lot of difficulty getting things to work, especially if you have some older equipment. Don't get me wrong, I love Intrepid with KDE4, but I also have a brand new system I built that is able to handle it and I don't ever plan on dumping it.
            I will also agree with you that it would be nice if there were a netbook remix of Kubuntu as I am looking into getting a Dell Mini9 and it would be nice to run Kubuntu on it.
            I guess time will tell after the final release of Intrepid on the 30th to see where Kubuntu (or KDE in general) is headed.
            &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
              I see what you are saying, and I agree that running the new II with KDE4 is seeming less and less possible on older systems.
              The LTS as far as I know is 8.04 and 8.10 will not receive LTS.
              I almost hate to say it but, it is almost as if Kubuntu II with KDE4 is headed the way of the dreaded Vista.
              Very resource intensive and there seems to be a lot of difficulty getting things to work, especially if you have some older equipment. Don't get me wrong, I love Intrepid with KDE4, but I also have a brand new system I built that is able to handle it and I don't ever plan on dumping it.
              I will also agree with you that it would be nice if there were a netbook remix of Kubuntu as I am looking into getting a Dell Mini9 and it would be nice to run Kubuntu on it.
              I guess time will tell after the final release of Intrepid on the 30th to see where Kubuntu (or KDE in general) is headed.
              Don't bother with the Dell mini9. It sucks compared to the AA1.
              I have been working with a friend who has both and the AA1 is far better.

Noel Vh
              ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Personally for me it's the little things that are killing my enthusiasm for 8.10/KDE4.1, such as that in the k-menus now (regardless of being new or old style) there's no "Put Into Run Dialog" option, which is something I use constantly in KDE3. The "outdated" branch is just much more polished, and sure Vista has glaring "it's not ready" bugs but the thing is you're working against psychology here; any distro of Linux that's trying to sway people away from what they're familiar with has to be downright superior, and older versions of Kubuntu are, in my experience of converting non-tech-savvy people over to Linux.

To be fair, I did win one person accidentally over when I was running KDE4 on my laptop and she glanced over and was impressed. But as it turns out she then went off and tried to run it on her own and got discouraged, went back to Windows for her desktop and OSX on her Macbook

As per Dragon Player not playing DVDs, honestly, it's not quite acceptable to say that it's just too lightweight and one should use VLC instead. It's a replacement for Kaffeine, and honestly if libdvdcss2 is already installed for VLC to use then there's no reason why Dragon Player shouldn't be able to, Linux programs aren't like Windows programs where they each need entirely separate libraries, part of the appeal of *nix is the elegantly shared libraries. That being said, I'd expect that Dragon Player will be able to play DVDs sooner rather than later, so I'm thinking this is far more of an "at this stage..." problem than a design choice.

All this is moot for my main machine, since KDE 4.1.2 is incredibly slow and crashes quite often, along with numerous other bugs, but I'm giving it a fair shake on one of my older machines; I like it, it's fun to play with. Problem is, for my main and powerful computer it both doesn't work and lack things I use all the time when I'm power-usering instead of playful-usering.

Originally posted by noelvh
                Don't bother with the Dell mini9. It sucks compared to the AA1.
                I have been working with a friend who has both and the AA1 is far better.
                That's reassuring to hear, I bought an AA1 (8GB SSD) a month or two back but I've been worrying that maybe something that actually came with Ubuntu might not have been a better choice. it's a pretty snazzy laptop, although the first thing I did was "sudo yum install kdebase" haha, and then go on to solve several forum questions with that basic step, for example:

question: "how to easily connect to windows shares?"
                other answers: "do blah and blah then edit file blah and mount on blah"
                original questioner: "ummm . . . wow, linux sure is complicated"
                me: "hey, no, just use Konqueror and go smb://computer/share instead of \\computer\share"

And that's the power of KDE in a nutshell, I think, it Just Works (tm) in a way that often surpasses the folks that actually market with that phrase, which is why the current state of affairs has me so depressed.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Heh heh heh -- understanding that Alpha and Beta "releases" are strictly for testers, I suspect the devs think a broken installer is a fair test of manhood, not a defect.&#160; &#160;

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be forced to agree. I have to say that this is the latest I've ever gone for adoption. I mean the thing was on it's last beta when I made the switch. I would have switched much earlier but I couldn't get a couple of show stopper bugs sorted out... but I'm using it as my daily production machine and it's just as good as the last version of Kubuntu for me right now.....

I really do not like the new Adept.. I didn't particularly like the last version but this version just makes things hard... same deal with Dolphin... but the great thing is that I don't have to use them. My beloved Synaptic is installing OOo 3.0.0 right now, and Konq does a wonderful job of file management duties.

Edit - oh and as far as the menu goes... Menus are for noobs. hahahahaha!

Kev

Comment

I don't get the new Adept Manager either, Kev. Why would you make a Package Manager GUI that doesn't show the packages?

It's just weird ....

But, when the little gear wheel says there are updates, it works correctly. So, I dunno ....

Comment

Originally posted by paxmark1

BTW, the new net-book remix version appears to me to only be for Ubuntu. A less CPU cycle intensive KDE would imoho be required for a Kubuntu net-book remix. I could be wrong though.

Actually Mark one of the daily builds of II runs better on my MSI Wind (unmodified) than Win XP does. And it does compositing too! Of course I can't get WiFi to work - which is a show stopper...

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

But, when the little gear wheel says there are updates, it works correctly. So, I dunno ....
                        OK yes I do have to agree with that. It hasn't messed up a single install yet.

Comment

I used Adept to install some plugins (Sun Java 6 and Adobe flash) for Firefox 3 and it worked quite well. Stopped at the appropriate places and asked if I agreed, installed, all I had to do was restart Firefox.

I remember with 8.04 Adept had some problems, I had to run apt-get install in a terminal to get the dialogue and install various programs properly. However, I agree with you all about Adept not showing what packages you have installed and what's available to install. Synaptic is included but it wasn't with 8.04 and it shows all packages. I don't need two package managers, especially when there is also apt and dpkg.
                          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

8.10 is no longer beta and while I don't feel I'm a pro, I'm not a virgin either. The complete difference between KDE 3 and 4 probably causes a lot of problems - you don't instinctively know where everything is and it may not be there either. I think this was harder than going from 7.10 to 8.04

I saw no updates for 8.10 last time I checked, but what are the daily builds compared to the updates? I assume they are a complete distro with newer stuff than I downloaded. I also assume that the newer stuff in the daily builds are eventually listed as updates at the proper time.

Are Kooka and Kpilot still part of 8.10? And can you actually synch a PalmPilot with Kontact without jumping through a lot of hoops? I had understood there was to be a lot of improvement about how Kontact handles PalmPilots with OS5(?) - such as being able to handle multiple PalmPilots. I gave up on synching my PalmPilot when I moved from SUSE to Kubuntu.

I anxiously await a good KDE4 manual or user guide.

FireFox in KDE4.1 seems a bit clunky - very slow at times.

Comment

Well I am going to change my statement to I like it.

I grabbed the release version and was much happier with that version than the beta.
                              I dose get some getting use to but I do like the new look and feel.

I for one love the new Dolphin with the built in terminal window. That makes things much better. Like when you open a folder the terminal puts you in that folder.

It did take me 3 full installs to get my wifi working, and it only works well if I reconnect to the wifi once it boots up fully. I spent about 4 hours trying to get it to work.
                              I have an intel pro and that happens to be one that has known issues with the firmware.

I did not do an upgrade and I am glad as I have read that the upgrades are not going so well.

So I now have my IBM t43 laptop, and my IBM think center running K 8.10.

SO now you can all point your fingers at me and say I told you!!!!

Noel VH.
                              ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Oh well I hit a road block last night, there is no support for my dig camera. For me this is a major road block for me. I currently use my 8.4 laptop for all my photos work and will have to keep this up.

So 8.10 is not going to my main OS till I have full support for what I use my laptop for.

I have a canon power shot 710 is. It shows up in the system but will not let me configure it.

Noel Vh

Comment

Working...
                                X