This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My test of 8.10

Well I gave 8.10 a test run yesterday and today.
    My first thoughts are I like the look, but I would not make the switch any time soon.

This is not a bash of the new platform but what I found that I did not like or things I could not live with for an OS.

I like desktop icons, and the ability to make them with ease. I was able to make them under KDE4 but had to brows to them and then drag them. Also there is not right click menu on them as I am used to having. It's not till you are in Dolphin till your get a rc menu. For me this dose not make the computer easier to use! Also I do not like the little menu that pops up next to an icon on the desktop.

Next I can not play non enyc DVD using the Dragon player (this sucks) the player states that there in no media. Also I have to go through Dolphin, or the K menu to even see if there is a disk mounted.

Power management on my laptop dose not work with regards to the monitor. It should turn it off after a time but it dose not, it goes black but leaves the back light on.

System setting are less than friendly, or I should say they are just less. I was able to find every thing fine, but compared to KDE3.5 this is not going to work for me. I like the ability to change all parts of my system.

Desktop effects are well BORING compared to compiz. I did not try to install compiz but the way they are toted, as being like such.

Over all I give it a thumbs down, compared to Kubuntu 8.04.1 with KDE 3.5.10. I can not take the time to learn some thing new that is missing the core of what I need. If looks are what you want then its great, but functionality is missing and in a big way.

There are some good things like Dolphin 1.1 is very cool, but not enough to hook me.

Sorry

Noel Vh

++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Re: My test of 8.10

Yiu should try VLC, it plays virtually anything.

Comment

I would also suggest that a little patience is required, remember that it has only been gestating for nine months!

Comment

just a quickie in regards to the "menu" that pops up next to the icons on your desk top...
        you have to right click on the desktop and click "lock widgets" and that will go away.
        also, the dragon player is meant to be very minimal on resources, therefore it will not have a lot of the capabilities as say VLC or the like.
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions but its not ready!!! Then why build 8.10 on top of it?
          With no option for KDE 3.5 on the new 8.10 why would I move to it. I know there needs to be change, and I for one love it but KDE4 is tooo much, and all at once. Now if you can make it act the same as KDE3.5 it might be worth it, but I saw nothing to suggest it could be turned down.

I wan more than good looks in my front end, it have to be rock solid and work well. I have not written it off I am just not going to use it till is well much better. With KDE4.2 due next year why why push KDE4.1 one the masses.

I hope this dose not put a bad spin on KDE. Look at Vista a crap OS that looks good, no thank you.

Noel Vh
          ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

I don't get your argument? KDE4.1 works great for me... I have no problems.
            The only thing that is not ready is Kubuntu 8.10, which the final release is at the end of the month.
            So, for all your complaints you need to realize that you jumped into a beta (or alpha as I did) version of the OS and therefore should have expected some difficulties.
            If KDE4.1 is too much for you, you can easily stay with 8.04 and use KDE3.5.
            That is your choice and nobody will force you to make the switch. Believe me, I have seen plenty of people who did not like the change.
            I do hope that this won't turn you off of Linux though.
            &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
              I don't get your argument? KDE4.1 works great for me... I have no problems.
              The only thing that is not ready is Kubuntu 8.10, which the final release is at the end of the month.
              So, for all your complaints you need to realize that you jumped into a beta (or alpha as I did) version of the OS and therefore should have expected some difficulties.
              I agree with the above. Also, for what it is worth, I think that KDE4 under Kubuntu 8.10 not only looks great but works really well, there's no going back for me. Looking forward to the final release.
              Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Few substantial Linux distributions are "ready" for the user who can't take the time to learn how to use them. For that matter, I just had my first experience on a Vista system yesterday, trying to set up wireless for a relative, so I'm now qualified to report that Vista isn't ready -- I hit a serious bug in the setup routine within the first 5 minutes.

Having said that, Kubuntu 8.10 and KDE 4 are certainly ready for the user who cares to work with it:

[img width=400 height=300]http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/3271/kintrepidcompizfu5.png[/img]

Today's two cents' worth. 8)

Comment

Well put!! I will keep my opinion to my self and crawl back to the rock I came from.

This was not A bash, I was just pointing out what I did not like, and that I feel it is not ready to take over as the only KDE version for the new 8.10.

What I was hoping was some of the issues I posted would have been met with oh yea do this, or its coming. I did get some of that but not enough to keep my hopes up.

I will give the non bata a test run and see if it dose differ from the beta I tested.

I will all so keep what I find to my self.

Noel Vh

Comment

Originally posted by noelvh
                    Well put!! I will keep my opinion to my self and crawl back to the rock I came from.

This was not A bash, I was just pointing out what I did not like, and that I feel it is not ready to take over as the only KDE version for the new 8.10.

What I was hoping was some of the issues I posted would have been met with oh yea do this, or its coming. I did get some of that but not enough to keep my hopes up.

I will give the non bata a test run and see if it dose differ from the beta I tested.

I will all so keep what I find to my self.

Noel Vh
                    In my experience, it was a Bad Mistake to release the Beta in the state which it was.... even the installer was broken.

I downloaded and installed a daily build (dated 27/09) which was better, and installed a system which - after up-dating - is miles better than the one released.

It's what i'm using at the moment, and has had glitches and problems, yes, but i'm more than happy with it.

The built-in desktop effects are ample - for me - i don't need a 3D workspace, two desktops (or workbenches ) are ample for my needs.

Why not try the daily build here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/ noelvh, and see what you think of it?

I'm pretty sure that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy

even the installer was broken.
                      Heh heh heh -- understanding that Alpha and Beta "releases" are strictly for testers, I suspect the devs think a broken installer is a fair test of manhood, not a defect.

Why not try the daily build here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/ noelvh, and see what you think of it?
                      Yep, that's how I did it too, and it works just fine at this present stage of development.

Comment

In my experience, it was a Bad Mistake to release the Beta in the state which it was.... even the installer was broken.

I downloaded and installed a daily build (dated 27/09) which was better, and installed a system which - after up-dating - is miles better than the one released.

It's what i'm using at the moment, and has had glitches and problems, yes, but i'm more than happy with it.

The built-in desktop effects are ample - for me - i don't need a 3D workspace, two desktops (or workbenches ) are ample for my needs.

I'm pretty sure that you will be pleasantly surprised.
                        I also had some issues installing this from the CD I was not able to use the install from CD menu line I had to run the live CD then install from the desktop.
                        This did not work well ether, but I ended up getting it installed. Then before I did any thing I run the updates to make sure I was using the most updated version I could.

At this point I am going to wait the 8 days for the release. I am giving Ubuntu 8.10 a test today.

Bead in mind I am not giving up on any thing Linux, nor am I looking to move away from the ubuntu based linux. At this time I have 1 laptop (full time Kubuntu 8.4.1), and 2 desktops (dual boot Kubuntu 8.4.1, and XP pro). I am also in the process of moving my Dad from Freespire to Kubuntu 8.4.

But thanks for the links to the daily versions.

Noel Vh

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

even the installer was broken.
                          Heh heh heh -- understanding that Alpha and Beta "releases" are strictly for testers, I suspect the devs think a broken installer is a fair test of manhood, not a defect.

Yep, that's how I did it too, and it works just fine at this present stage of development.
                          .... point taken, dibl.

Comment

But thanks for the links to the daily versions.
                            Don't thank me.... i got them from dibl, blame him.

The one i've installed works well, and it's getting better every day.

Comment

The daily build ISO is "fresher" than the official Alpha and Beta releases. However, a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous ....

Anticipating the next version development cycle, please don't be misled -- a daily build Alpha is still a shaky, unstable, bug-laden piece of software. Think of it as "for fun, not for business" and you'll be OK. I usually wait until after they announce the Beta release before I bother to try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X