X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dmraid

Hey Everyone,

Ok so I've waited around and am now on the latest kernel. I had issues with Kernels 19 and up so I just hung out on 18 for a while. From what I understood Kernel -18 and down did not have a module to support Raid 5 loaded into the kernel. So now here I sit on this nice new fancy kernel and when I attempt to mount my Raid 5 array (I need it because I dual boot so having a linux specific array is out of the question) using dmraid -ay I get ERROR: device-mapper target type "raid4-5" not in kernel. This appears to be a known issue since Hardy and maybe I am just missing something really obvious here on this but any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to be able to access my Raid Array and if possible move my home partition over to it (When the time comes I am sure that will be a whole lovely experience as I am unsure if it is possible since I have not done any research on it yet). Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide on this matter.
    Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Re: dmraid

Ok just wanted to let everyone know that with this kernel update that I got today running dmraid -ay finally gave me the results I wanted. I was then able to go and mount the raid in /media as ntfs. Copied my home folder over there. Deleted the old home folder and created a symbolic link back to /home to the new location of it. BTW my new home is on a NTFS partition and working great. Only mishap in all of this is that my VM of WinXP now BSOD's on boot up in VirtualBox so worst case I reinstall. If you are curious about how I got my dmraid to work and you need help just message me and I'll be more than happy to help you. This checks off one more thing I don't need my windows install for.

Comment

Excellent!

But why on NTFS? Just curious ...

Comment

I still have a dual boot machine with Vista residing on the other half of my system drive. When I first built this machine it was a windows only box (until I rediscovered the wonderful Kubuntu) So I have some stuff on that drive that is still needed for windows such as my Flight Simulator X and all of the graphic files for it as well as other junk. I guess the best part of this solution is that now any music or movies that I have on my home drive I can now access it through windows as well.

Comment

Working...
        X