This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Alt+F2 Run Box

Hey everyone I had this problem in HH but I thought maybe I just had a retarded install and never got it. But now II I still don't have a Run Box if I go to K it is not there nor if I do a Alt + F2 will it show up either. I can right click on the desktop and I have a Run command there but it's not like what I've seen in the pictures i.e. the upgrade instructions for II. Anyone got any ideas on this one? Thanks.
    Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Re: No Alt+F2 Run Box

Ummmmm, i hate to ask, but do both keys work normally?

I can't help, other than to suggest that either your <F2> or <Alt> key doesn't work.

Comment

If my memory serves me well this is a common KDE4 complaint which has been sorted (by others, not by me).

Wait for Fintan to come online again, he is the "local" KDE4 guru
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'll take a seat in the stalls and watch.

Edited to add:
        To those of us in England, "the stalls" refers to the front rows at the theatre.... not one in the loo.

Comment

Thank you to both of you for your replies on this.

aged hippy: Yes both keys do function correctly

toad: I am glad that I just don't feel like my Kubuntu install is special and needs to ride the special bus.

Comment

I am not the kde4 guru here :P

But I have had experiences with kde4 so I will try and help as much as I can.

This was a big problem in kde4 remix (early days) and was never really satisfactorily solved.

Does running a kdesudo kate (example) work from right click->run command??
            If not then you have a different problem.

In II it has worked for me since II alpha so I really do not know what to tell other than:
            open up system settings->keyboard&mouse->keyboard->keyboard shortcuts->run commands filter and have a look at the preset shortcuts.
            run command = Alt + F2 should be there. If not set it and see if that works.

Hope I could be of use to you on this one.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              I am not the kde4 guru here :P
              Sorry, I gained the impression that you were 'cos your name appears in almost every kde4 related question, usually with the solution

Anyway, I won't mention it again
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Not to worry, I take it as a compliment but I know a few real gurus here and I don't count myself among them.

Thankx anyway
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by TheFuzz4
                  Anyone got any ideas on this one? Thanks.
                  Yep -- well, I know what causes it on MY system, anyway. I have proven beyond a doubt that running Compiz with the Emerald window decorator will disable Alt-F2. If I run the default Kwin setup, no problem with Alt-F2. If I run Compiz and leave Kwin as the window decorator, no problem. Set Compiz to use Emerald, and Alt-F2 goes bye-bye every time, permanently, until I change the window decorator back to Kwin.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Well given that I have compiz installed as well that would probably explain a lot. Thanks for your help dibl. Now all I need is some dmraid experts for my other question and I'll be a happy camper

Comment

Originally posted by TheFuzz4

Thanks for your help dibl. Now all I need is some dmraid experts for my other question and I'll be a happy camper
                      Glad to help. dmraid ... I'm afraid to try it. There has never been a lot of that kind of information posted on this forum, unfortunately. Prolly Ubuntu Forum or Debian would be better places to search -- once I recall seeing quite a detailed "How To" on Ubuntu Forum.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember seeing a fix for that somewhere (maybe it's the old hallucinating trick). And if my memory serves me well it was Fintan who had the answer...

Oh well, I'm off to the pub for a pint of best

Comment

Working...
                        X