This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio/flash issues after last night's updates

Anyone else notice some new weirdness today? Youtube is showing the video, but not playing the audio, for me. My audio system passes all normal tests -- Amarok and alsaplayer are fine. The following quick check shows most streaming audio/video works:

cnn.com
    abcnews.com
    foxnews.com

However, BBC World Service radio, which was playing in mplayer yesterday doesn't care to play in mplayer or vlc today.

Could be Firefox too -- I'll try Konqueror and see what happens.

Re: Audio/flash issues after last night's updates

I have the same problem. I am running Kubuntu 8.10 amd64. I noticed the issue after upgrades from 2.6.27-7 to 2.6.27-9. I tried to uninstall (purge) vlc and its components, but everything is the same. Amarok plays mp3 flawesly but vlc cannot play any audio, only video output is available. No plugins like ESD etc. won't help. Sound in flash worked for me before updates. I hope they fix it.

Comment

Hmmmmm -- I still have 2.6.27-7 -- I have not run updates today. Everything is working perfectly here ... perhaps I would be wise to wait a bit .....

Comment

I don't know why and how but right now I can hear sound on youtube.com I will try VLC player ... Linux also has its WOW, not only Vista ... vlc produce sound too! Amazing ... I didn't do anything since last my post.

Comment

Originally posted by giricz81
          Amazing ... I didn't do anything since last my post.
          You gotta love a system that fixes itself!

Comment

you bet !!!

Comment

My Firefox was slowing down, and showing increasing weirdness over the past few days. Changing tabs got sloooooooowwwwwwwwww. Tried to watch a youtube video of the Bangles singing "Manic Monday" and got some goofy message about "not allowed in your country".

Long story short, and if you're running 64-bit, this is your opportunity to install the new 64-bit flashplugin and start fresh. So, here's your procedure:

1. In Firefox, Bookmarks>Organize>Import and Backup>Export HTML and export your bookmarks to your home folder (the default location).

2. Download the new 64-bit flashplugin here. Save it in your home or Desktop folder.

3. Shut down Firefox and open Dolphin.

4. In Dolphin, delete (send to trash) the hidden .kde and .mplayer folders. I say ".mplayer" because I think the mplayer plugin was part of the problem. If you've got special mplayer settings, then you'd better rename the .mplayer folder and save it with a different name, so you can recover your settings.

5. Open the Konsole and
              Code:
              sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox
              6. In the Konsole,
              Code:
              cd /tmp
              and make a new directory
              Code:
              sudo mkdir fp
              then change to that directory
              Code:
              cd fp
              and copy the flashplayer tarball
              Code:
              sudo cp /home/user/Desktop/libflash{TAB to complete} .
              Note the period which tells the shell to copy the file to the current directory.

7. Now
              Code:
              sudo tar -xvf libfl{TAB to complete}
              and you will observe, with
              Code:
              ls
              that the file libflashplayer.so is in the directory. Copy that file to the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.

8. Now you can reinstall firefox with
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install firefox && sudo apt-get install mozilla-mplayer
              9. Fire up Firefox, import your bookmarks, and discover the joy!

Comment

Working...
              X