This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok -- codecs -- something not quite right

On a brand new 8.10 Kubuntu installation, with the codecs installed, I noticed that Amarok doesn't seem to find them. I used alsaplayer and played CDs and mp3s, so I know the codecs are available on the system. Maybe it's an Amarok bug, but it happened in both the "legacy" Amarok (installed by default) and also Amarok KDE4 which I installed later. So maybe there's something tricky about the way the codecs go in now. I'm using the default xine engine in Amarok -- I haven't spent any time chasing different setups, since I never previously needed to change it to get playback.

Anyone else see this issue?

Re: Amarok -- codecs -- something not quite right

Do you get a error message ?

Is it still this > Topic: amarok not playin mp3s suddenly
    Sometimes /home/user/.xine folder gets garbled:
    Topic: Amarok 1.4.5, libxine-extracodecs installed, no mp3 playback
    >> Amarok: No suitable demux plugin
    st14n:

The fix that worked for me was to close Amarok, delete the ~./xine folder and restart Amarok.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Aha -- that sure looks like the problem -- thanks Rog! I didn't think to search for it because I associated it with Intrepid -- shame on me! :P

I'll try the fix after I get home from home from work -- I'm confident this is the problem.

Comment

Nope, it wasn't the .xine folder. That was not the problem -- it was this:

Code:
        dibl@ibex:~$ sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree
        Reading state information... Done
        The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
         gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly linux-restricted-modules-common yauap libsidplay1
         binutils-static
        Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
        The following NEW packages will be installed:
         libxine1-ffmpeg
        0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        Need to get 394kB of archives.
        After this operation, 909kB of additional disk space will be used.
        Get:1 [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com[/url] intrepid/main libxine1-ffmpeg 1.1.15-0ubuntu3 [394kB]
        Fetched 394kB in 2s (195kB/s)
        Selecting previously deselected package libxine1-ffmpeg.
        (Reading database ... 103255 files and directories currently installed.)
        Unpacking libxine1-ffmpeg (from .../libxine1-ffmpeg_1.1.15-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
        Setting up libxine1-ffmpeg (1.1.15-0ubuntu3) ...
        Funny that alsaplayer is happy with the w64codecs and libxine, but Amarok needs the other. Also funny (or not) that Amarok no longer is able to put up a prompt to help the user provide for its special needs ....

Comment

On my upgrade i just upgraded to the kde4 beta (in th repo's) and that solved the problem. Adept warns of removing amarok, amarok-xine and some other stuff but the upgrade is successfull and Amarok works fine.
          BTW during the upgrade Kaffeine, VLC player,Gimp and possibly others were removed without me being prompted. Beta eh. Upgrade at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
          X