X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrepid / KDE 4.1.2 grievances

Hello all,

First of all, I didn't have much time to search the forums and read the posts that would probably give me some hints to the issues I've been facing. So if you think I should do that, just ignore my post (tell me to RTFM is pointless).

However, if you'd like to help me, I'm looking for any pointers that could help me fix the little annoying things I list below:
    • In Hardy/KDE 3.5, the network pritner we have here at the university worked fine. In Intrepid/Kde4, it doesn't. I send a document, it shows at the jobs list as "processing" and then goes to "hold". If I "release" it, it goes back to "processing" then "hold" again;
    • All KDE open file dialogs show the files in inverse order (inverse alphabetically), although the column header shows the currently selected ordering criteria is alphabetically;
    • Gwenview has no plugins because kipi-plugins (and also Digikam) cannot be installed (conflicts);
    • Kopete pop-ups (John Doe is now online) are being displayed at the top-right corner of the screen, instead of the bottom-right corner, close to the tray icon, where I suppose it should;
    • Icons in the system tray have messed up background.

Thanks for any pointers.

Vitor Souza

Re: Intrepid / KDE 4.1.2 grievances

1. Can't help with the printer issue. If you can provide more details (and possibly error/log messages)...you'll probably get better feedback.
    2. Yes, there seems to be some weird things going on with the ascending/descending toggle when clicking on the column header in detailed view in the open file dialogs. Right-clicking on the file list and setting sort options on the menu seems to stick.
    3. Yes, kipi-plugins in not installable on KDE4 (at least not yet), but you can install digikam-kde4 package for the KDE4 version of digikam (it's still beta, though)
    4. This one probably is a bug, or a missing feature to set notification orientation (does that happen with all notify pop-ups or just with kopete)
    5. This is a known issue with KDE4, there is some major rehaul of the tray going on, so it'll get fixed eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      1. Can't help with the printer issue. If you can provide more details (and possibly error/log messages)...you'll probably get better feedback.
      As soon as I have more time, I'll try harder and also check the logs or any kind of extra information I can get. I'll just give it up for now...

2. Yes, there seems to be some weird things going on with the ascending/descending toggle when clicking on the column header in detailed view in the open file dialogs. Right-clicking on the file list and setting sort options on the menu seems to stick.
      Awesome, it worked.

3. Yes, kipi-plugins in not installable on KDE4 (at least not yet), but you can install digikam-kde4 package for the KDE4 version of digikam (it's still beta, though)
      I didn't know about digikam, thanks. But kipi-plugins is actually more urgent... I've seen it's on KDE's roadmap, so I'll just wait for it.

4. This one probably is a bug, or a missing feature to set notification orientation (does that happen with all notify pop-ups or just with kopete)
      Power manager notifications show right beside its icon when I plug in/out the AC cord in my laptop. The new balloons from the KDE crash handler and the adept notifier also show beside the system tray (although a little bit dislocated from the exact position I suppose they should be). I don't remember any other notification showing, so my answer is: just with kopete.

5. This is a known issue with KDE4, there is some major rehaul of the tray going on, so it'll get fixed eventually.
      I'll wait for that too.

Thanks a lot for the answers. Now I know what I have to wait and what I should invest more time trying to solve.

Vítor Souza

Comment

Just a follow-up

The new (and improved) systray for KDE4.2 can be seen here:
        http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/10/p...-complete.html

The blog post also shows new plasma notifications.

The first 4.2 alpha release is due Oct 28th.

Comment

Just a follow-up

The new (and improved) systray for KDE4.2 can be seen here:
          http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/10/p...-complete.html

The blog post also shows new plasma notifications.

The first 4.2 alpha release is due Oct 28th.
          Very VERY nice. Now I want 4.2 more than 8.10

Comment

Working...
          X