This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Slowness

For some reason every most of the time I go back to the Desktop my whole laptop pretty much freezes for at least 30 seconds, all I can do is move the mouse + hear Amarok play music (<3).

I went to Desktop Effects and unclicked the "Enable Desktop Effects" button, messed around with some other settings but it won't stop doing it.

Aside from this the whole system runs perfectly, maybe even faster than KDE3.

Specs;
    C2D T7700 2.4GHz
    nVidia 8400M GS
    4GB RAM

Re: Desktop Slowness

Couple of thoughts:

1. Is your browser open at the time that you "go back"? If yes, try closing it before you hibernate the laptop, then try waking it up.

2. Which video driver are you using?

3. You could open a Konsole window before you hibernate, and run
    Code:
    Then when it wakes up, look at the top display and see what is sucking all the resources (maybe you can see it before it disappears).

Comment

It's not only when resuming the system, just any time I minimize all my application windows.

1. It doesn't seem to be reliant on any program running at the time.

2. nvidia-glx-177

3. Seems to usually be Xorg that shoots up to ~90% CPU, occasionally plasma hops up there too.

Comment

xorg and plasma -- all video-related. I'm not sure which 177 driver is included in the packaged driver. I'm having good luck with 177.76 beta, but that's in a big desktop system, not a laptop.

Are you running Compiz or "Desktop Effects"?

How much swap space did you set up when you installed Kubuntu?

I'm wondering if the lag is also related to the hard drive shutting down for power savings, or something like that. Although 30 seconds sounds like a long time to spin back up.

Comment

Nope, no desktop effects are running, nor Compiz or anything like that.

The only 'widget' on the desktop is the folder viewer thing, which I can't get rid of

I didn't set up any swap space as I figured it wouldn't be needed with 4GB of RAM, plus my HDD is basically full as it is. =/

It's not the harddrive - its already spinning when it happens.

I suppose I'll just revert to Hardy and then hope its fixed with the beta 8.10 :P

EDIT: Figured it'd be fun to try out KDE4 on HH, its running flawlessly, so it must've been a problem with 4.1 or II.

Comment

Working...
          X