X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Upgrade" to 8.10

Hi

I imagine that intrepid is rapidly approaching beta stage, which is the point at which I usually jump.

I have tried KDE 4 in Hardy - it's been , well Ok. However, I recall when Hardy was launched the main desktop was to be 3.5.9 and because there wasn't enough time to bed KDE4 in for the launch of 8.4. It seems to me that with (k)ubuntu (well, all Linux distros really) once a version is launched it simply gets bug fixes with all the real development going into the next version. As a result would it be a realistic assumption that the KDE4 in intrepid will be far better put together than in hardy?

I also note that the default directory for kde4 in intrepid will be .kde and not .kde4.

When it comes time to upgrade, whilst I like my 3.5.10 setup I want to go with the flow and go big bang style into kde4. It seems to me that the best way to do this will be to remove kde4 entirely and for kde3 to be "upgraded" to kde 4 by the upgrade to intrepid. Will an upgrade on that basis work? If I were to retain kde3 and kde 4 installations at the time I upgrade I perceive I run the risk of having a dogs breakfast of a system with neither KDE version working properly. Either that or a fresh install with reinstatement of the home data could be problematic.

Obviously I will back up first but does what I say (which I suppose boils down to having only 1 kde directory at the time of upgrade) make sense?

Thanks

ian

Re: "Upgrade" to 8.10

Copy .kde to a .kde3 as a backup before upgrading.

Worst case: if KDE won't start after the upgrade, use the TTY to rename .kde to .kde.broken, relogin, and KDE (4) will at least start with the default workspace.

I had both KDE3 and KDE4 installed when I upgraded in alpha 1. The KDE4 directories were basically ignored (I later deleted them). I don't know how well the "upgrade" of KDE3 settings works because I renamed .kde to .kde3 before the update then copied back my kopeterc after logging in the first time.

You could probably even rename .kde to .kde3, rename .kde4 to .kde, and keep your current KDE4 settings.

-J
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Re: "Upgrade" to 8.10

From my experience about hardy upgrade to intrepid:

kde4 in hardy is completely ignored and kde3 will be upgraded.

so it is okay to completely remove your kde4 applications in hardy and upgrade to intrepid.

for the settings, simply backup your .kde and .kde4 directories and see if you need anything in it after upgrade to intrepid.

Comment

Working...
      X