Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adept Manager 3.0 Beta 2 -- How to find things?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Manager 3.0 Beta 2 -- How to find things?

I haven't made a serious study of the new Adept Manager, since it is still unfinished. However, my experience of trying to find and remove an older kernel and its related packages (headers, restricted modules) left me scratching my head.

I'm running the 2.6.27-4 kernel, and previously had 2.6.27-2 and before that 2.6.26-5. Today I decided I could lose the 2.6.26-5 kernel and its friends -- no apparent need to ever go back on this system, and my boot menu was getting longer than the screen, which is annoying. So I opened the new Adept Manager and proceeded to spend 10 minutes attempting to use "Search" to find the appropriate packages. Eventually I got the headers package to turn up, but I never did get the kernel or the restricted modules to show up. I ended up using Synaptic to take care of business.

I can imagine that the devs thought "forcing" users to wade through a list of 26,000 packages was a "problem". But, there is nothing like an alphabetical listing of everything to make the search process straightforward, if not efficient. I have no idea how you would find the kernel packages with this new Adept -- obviously there is a secret handshake or something that you have to know in advance. Here are some search terms that don't work (among others):

kernel
    linux
    linux kernel
    kernel 2.6.25
    linux kernel 2.6.25

If the new Adept has a "list 'em all" view, I can't find it.

Anyone?

Re: Adept Manager 3.0 Beta 2 -- How to find things?

I know that if you click on the little boxes (one box outline, other filled in box) you can put up the list of installed programs, then selecting the other will give you a list of not installed programs.
    if you mouse over the boxes it will say which is which, I am not on my Kubuntu system right now, but if I remember right... I open up Adept, then click on the small blue box (outline) next to the solid green box and it gives me a list of installed packages. (might be the other way around )
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

I found the answer today on Ubuntu Forum.

You first choose "Search", and then on the row of icons after "State:" you click the third icon -- the brown teepee. When you click it, it becomes gray, and the full list of packages appears in the window. Apparently they chose to have the list hidden as the default status. Strange!

Comment

yeah, it definitely took a little getting use to. one box is for 'installed' packages, the other is for 'not installed' and the teepee thing I thought was for 'upgrades' or something like that. I am at work so I can't check out my Adept.
        when I first installed II and tried to use it I was totally lost and had to play with Adept for a while.
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Adept and future (maybe)

> Kubuntu Meeting Minutes > Kubuntu/Meetings/Minutes/2008-09-11

Jaunty Goals

We discussed possible goals for Jaunty including

* Improving package management (maybe even with packagekit)

Packagekit:

> PackageKit Main Page
          > KPackageKit
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

VERY interesting, Rog131.

I, for one, wouldn't miss Adept. I tend to use it once - right after I install a system - just to test it's current state, then go with Synaptic from then on.

As for graphical installers, I've only used Synaptic, Adept, and RPMdrake on Mandrake... but Adept's at the bottom of the list for stability and features.
            Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Just installed packagekit (am desperate to dump synaptic) but it only has gnome install candidate, I installed it but for the life of me I cant find where it was installed to I checked /usr/bin but its not there! Ah well JJ is around the corner & it might be in by default.

Cary
              The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                I found the answer today on Ubuntu Forum.

You first choose "Search", and then on the row of icons after "State:" you click the third icon -- the brown teepee. When you click it, it becomes gray, and the full list of packages appears in the window. Apparently they chose to have the list hidden as the default status. Strange!
                Thanks! I was wondering about that. Strange indeed, but this helps!

Comment

Working...
                X