X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open applications disappear when minimized

Running Kubuntu 8.10, latest version.

There is one feature that is driving me out of my mind. Whenever I open an application and then have the need to open another one to get some info needed in the first open application, I minimize the first open and then use the second one to get the data or info needed.

For some mysterious reason whenever I minimize an open application it does not only minimize but gives me the added benefit of disappearing for good. To where? Into space? Into the great blue yonders of Kubuntu?
    Who knows!

It may only be my ignorance of KDE 4 or Kubuntu 8.10 but it is nevertheless most annoying.
    Just imagine having to modify a file with info from a post in the Kubuntu forum. You check the forum for a solution to a problem, find it. then you open the file that needs to be modified. To do so you have to minimize the first application. Now you are on the forum, get the info, copy it. Go back to the first file.

Where is it
    Where in the world is it??
    It has disappeared.

Consequence: Start from scratch all over again.

This is a nuisance.

Is it also only my ignorance of some finer point of Kubuntu 8.10 and/or KDE 4 or is it just a most annoying Alpha bug?

Re: Open applications disappear when minimized

You probably don't have the task manager applet running on the panel (anymore):

Right-click on the panel and choose 'Add widgets' (Unlock widgets first if you need to), and choose Task Manager from the dialog.

Note: You can move widgets around by right-clicking on panel, choosing 'Panel settings' and dragging widgets around with the mouse.

Comment

Re: Open applications disappear when minimized

Thank you so much for the helpful hint.
      Followed you suggestion. Now I am in business again.

Also found a whole slew of open windows that had previously 'disappeared'.

Comment

Working...
      X