This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Test on Laptop..Slow moving!!

Well...Never have done a fresh updated this laptop (see sig below) in a long, LONG while. Didn't even have KDE4 installed when migrated over to HH. Loved how II looked and performed on my Desktop and felt it was stable enough for me to finally boost this laptop to all the glory and cleanly from ground up. All in all, I'm not disappointed in my decision. Yes, the alpha still have some bugs. None that I'm not use to. What I have found though is that II with KDE4.1.1 does take a hit on the performance of this system. Graphics is slow to redraw and at times you see the X checker board before the redraw finishes (might be kwin's checker board, not sure). This is true for Desktop effects on or off. Also there is some screen distortion that occurs mid screen all the way to the bottom of screen when opening new windows. Still think that is a Graphics issue with this machine. I do believe that this will be the last updated Kubuntu for this machine . Great machine, but I believe tech. has advanced beyond what it can handle.

Re: First Test on Laptop..Slow moving!!

It could be the video chipset. My P4-M 2.0,with only 1gb ram,and 32mb Radeon mobility graphics works pretty well with kwin effects

But I did try adjusting some of the settings for Kwin in the advanced section (though I ended up using the defaults) Changing texture filter to 'fastest' may help some,as well as checking/unchecking direct rendering and vsync. I am sure there are some other settings in xorg to tweak there as well.

Comment

Changing texture filter to 'fastest' may help some,as well as checking/unchecking direct rendering and vsync
      Hmmmm. I'll give that a look at.

Comment

Wow..Just about not recovered from that. Had to eventually delete my .kde directory. I have noticed that the drawing problems tend to be with FireFox and Thunderbird. Other windows like Dolphin and Konqueror don't have a delay and their redraw. I still have that stuttering distortion on the desktop when Loging in and open some applications.

Comment

Well, after successfully breaking my II Alpha5 , I tried the new Alpha, Alpha6. All went well with the install except the install start screen stays open after it finishes. My system still functions as above, but now my NTFS file system does not auto-mount from Dolphin. I click on it and it does nothing, not even an error message. An one else? I tried a utility from adept that managed disks, couldn't find it in System Settings, and just about screwed up the system again (remember to always make a backup of the files you know will get altered such as fstab , it is a life saver) but that didn't help the NTFS any and then the CDROM wouldn't auto-mount, it at least gave an error of saying only Root could mount CDROM. Reverted back to old fstab file and all normal except for the NTFS file system. It will not mount!!

Side note: The KDE Windows Manager Notifications (sound effects) don't play. They sound as if they do but don't. Also the log in music gets cut off 3-4 seconds into the song. Log out sound works, log in doesn't. MP3s play in Amarok fine and movies play fine. Can't figure this one out.

Hope all this is ironed out before release.

Comment

Don't forget to search for and file bug reports for these issues

Comment

Added to this one for the Notifications. It sounded very similar. Don't know if that was the correct spot or not, but hope it is.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...me/+bug/217763

Comment

Well, After much playing around I've found that those Notifications do work, they just play very, very, very quietly. Looked all though KMIX and found nothing that would contribute to that. All other sounds play normally. Looked at the Configuration for Notifications and the volume is set to 100% there as well. All in all though, regardless of this, there has been progress made. I still have those display distortions, but I do believe it is because this system no longer can keep up with the video requirements . Can live with that. The wireless portion they seemed to have "fixed" by using what appears to a be a GNome application. I have to use it in conjunction with KNetworkmanager to get wireless working and I have to manually copy over the PSK to the GNome app each time I connect wirelessly (the GNome app doesn't appear to save the PSK). These are the only issues I've seen, which I think says a lot. Still can't disable the TouchPad. Really wished KSynaptics was still around. TouchFreeze just doesn't work for me.

Comment

Working...
                X